Love my 300mm 2.8

sbertone

I've been lucky enough to obtain the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II, this is one sweet lens, I love the color and clarity.

_DSC1589.jpg

_DSC9126.jpg

stmv

congrats,, a 6K lens,, separates the 1% club from the rest. must be amazing.

funny to compare the cost delta between say the 300 F4 and the 2.8..

so,, I bought my 300 F4 for 340 dollars (yes a great deal),, vs 5K used for the 2.8.. really hard to mentally equate the price difference, but alas,, if I was in the 1% club.. sure.

BackdoorArts

I love the idea of a 300mm with a 1.7x or 2x, and the f4 is just a hair dark. If I was blessed with a deal on the f2.8 I'd surely do what I could to grab it, but I find myself leaning more towards the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 instead. Probably not as sharp, but if the Nikon version is as sharp as the Canon version (1 gen prior) then I'd never complain. It occupies the space between the 2.8 and the 4 price-wise and gives me both the reach and the brightness. But this is a phenomenal lens.

stmv

and your sigma is on sale right now for 2700,, which for a zoom 2.8 is really an awesome deal. so,, maybe the perfect time.

jwstl

and your sigma is on sale right now for 2700,, which for a zoom 2.8 is really an awesome deal. so,, maybe the perfect time.
It's on sale because there's a newer model to be released in a couple of weeks. I'm holding out to look at the new one and to see if the used market gets a few more of the current gen once the new one hits the street.

STM

Some great stuff there!

I have a 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS Nikkor and simply love it though it is no lightweight! It makes a great portrait lens one stop down too! Depth of field is about 2 feet deep at f/4 from about a 75 feet away.

Navannah_pp_zpsa3ad2ca4.jpg

Last edited:

crycocyon

There was a nice AI-S 400 on ebay....very tempting but the 400 I hear is much heavier than the 300 2.8...and sometimes i might like to try handheld.