18-200mm VR = the BEST?

KansanShooter

Looking for a good all around zoom lens for nature and landscape shots. While researching different lenses..I saw a article by Ken Rockwell praising the Nikor 18-200mm VR lens. Said its all he uses now besides a 12-24mm. This is a quote from that article.

" My 18-200mm VR is more than just a new lens. It's changed the way I live and make photos."

I have a D5100 and I think this may just fit the bill.

What are your thought on this lens? Feel free to post pics if you have shot using this lens. Thanks.

§am

I think it all depends on your photographing style.
If you want a single lens that will live on your (camera) body the vast majority of time, then a 18-200mm or even 18-300mm will be sufficient for your needs.

If however, you're willing to do a little lens swapping every now & then, then look at something to compliment the kit lens you have... 55-200/55-300/70-300mm.

On top of that look at your budget and base decisions based on that too... no use looking at a 18-300mm if you can only stretch your budget to a 55-200mm

Oh no, you mentioned "Ken Rockwell". Let the bashing begin.

Ken Rockwell has a reputation of being a "know it all" when he sometimes does not. Probably some of his recommendations are pretty good but just check them with other sources before you dive in and spend money.

I have not shot the 18-200mm VR but have seen people here talking about it and have read other articles about it and it does look like a nice "Walk-around-lens" probably would be good for everyday shooting. Have other primes on hand for the good stuff.

stmv

laughs,, don't believe the fluff on the 18x200, that particular review caused the lens to almost become legendary when it was more just good.

Now,, I do own that lens, along with the 18x55 and 55x300,

Now,, on the 18x200 that is now on sale,, yes, very nice, compact, they put on a zoom lock
button when you carry it around, nice build, and takes decent pictures. Like all zooms, it has compromises but for the convenience, I really like it. I keep it on my 5100 all the time, as just a walk around camera.

Buy it and you will be happy, and will take great shots. Sometimes the value of not changing lens all the time is great.

The 18x300 is nice too, is larger, and starts to misbalance the camera a bit, as a walkaround, the 18x200 is big on the smaller camera, but not overpowering. enjoy.

mr2_serious

Everywhere. It is a rebate from Nikon. Best buy, amazon, adorama, bhphoto to name a few

I think you have until march 2nd

- william - via tapatalk