ND filters. A little confused regarding what I need..

eurotrash

I've been wanting to grab an ND filter but I don't know which darkness to get. They come with numbers like .06 or .09. I just want one that I can use for general stuff like waterfalls in daylight and daylight portraits at fast apertures, not interested in stacking in the slightest. Don't know if I'm interested in the Cokin type system either... Which should I be looking into? Thanks!

Rick M

I don't understand the use of an ND filter. Why not use exposure compensation instead?

The idea is to get the correct exposure and slow the shutter speed, great for waterfalls,

DSC_1279_4599_80_4600_81_4601_tonemapped-2.jpg

DSC_1327_4647_8_4648_9_4649_tonemapped-2.jpg

Rick M

I've been wanting to grab an ND filter but I don't know which darkness to get. They come with numbers like .06 or .09. I just want one that I can use for general stuff like waterfalls in daylight and daylight portraits at fast apertures, not interested in stacking in the slightest. Don't know if I'm interested in the Cokin type system either... Which should I be looking into? Thanks!

In bright sun, I would get the .9 for waterfalls, I've never used the variable.

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't understand the use of an ND filter. Why not use exposure compensation instead?

ND filters have an effect more than simply slowing down your shutter speed. And most people use them to calm down a blownout sky but they do a lot more than just this. ND filter will give a subtle color adjustment to your images. In a perfect world, an ND filter would stop all lightwaves equally but in practice they do not work in such a perfect way. I like to compare it to putting on sunglasses. ND filters do more than just calm down a bright sky, you can do things like remove people completely from a busy street or smear out a waterfall or ocean waves. None of which can be done with shutter speed adjustments. It's a handy thing to have in your camera bag.

jwstl

The most common use of an ND filter is to reduce the exposure for all or part of the image. In the examples above, an ND filter was used to lower exposure in order to use a shutter speed slow enough to blur the water. Because sometimes in bright light you can't get it slow enough without the filter. Graduated ND filters have a portion of the filter shaded and a portion clear. They come in hard or soft and are used to reduce exposure for a portion of the image such as a bright sky. Hard ND filters have a straight line between the shaded portion and the clear portion. These are best when there's a relatively straight horizon or line between the areas of bright and dark. Soft ND filters blend between the shaded and clear areas for images without a straight line between the bright and dark areas. The number-.06,.09 etc.- represent the number of stops of exposure you lose when the filter is on. The higher the number, the darker the filter, and the lower the exposure.
If you want to use graduated filters, I don't recommend a screw-in filter. You can't easily postion them to get the shaded area where you want it. If all you want is to reduce the entire exposure screw in filters would be ok. The Cokin filter holder and square glass or resin filters are preferred for graduated ND filters. They are more versatile with placement and can be used on any number of lenses via the lens adapter rings. One thing to keep in mind when buying ND filters is the subject of color. The N in ND stands for "neutral" but most of the less expensive filters are not neutral in color. They are fine when used for B/W images but can add a color tint to color images. If you can afford it buy the more expense filters to get a more neutral color. The Lee series filters are very nice; but they are not cheap.
Another option for graduated filters is to skip the filters altogether and use your camera's bracketing and a software program to merge multiple images.

Cowboybillybob1

Thank you all for clearing this up for me. Perhaps I should buy an inexpensive one to check it out a bit before I drop any real cash on one.
I will have to do a bit of shopping/research to find somethig appropriate.

Thanks again.
09 is one full stop?

OOPS .9 is 3 stops
.6 is two and .3 is one.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

I managed to find a deal on a set of 1, 2, & 3 stop ND's. On a bright day, 3 stops is not a lot. I was hoping to get some neat water effects when I was in FL last week (first time using them) and even with all 3 stacked, ISO at 100 and minimum aperture I couldn't get my exposure long enough to where it gave me what I was hoping for - and this before the sun cleared the trees. I've got an ND400 ordered which should hopefully do the trick on those days. The 1 & 2 stop filters are likely going to see little use, so if I had it to do over again I would go with just the 3 stop and the 9 stop.

Incubate

If you're going to get a Variable ND then get a quality one, though that goes for any filter. We've been using the Marumi Variable ND on our cameras and we've loved them. The nice thing with a variable ND is that it gives you easier control over your camera.

Cowboybillybob1

I just bought online a Hoya 62mm Neutral Density ND-400 X, 9 Stop Multi-Coated Glass Filter.
It should be delivered tomorrow. Hoefully we will have a sunny day to see how well it works. I know of a place with a small waterfall not too far from where I live.

Thanks to all for helping.

Cowboybillybob1

After looking at my order I see I purchased the wrong one. I wanted the variable density model. It goes from 1.5 stops to 9 stops. It also goes from $55 USD to $135.

You get what you pay for and I always get suckd in with the better (and more expensive) models.

In any case I am sure to have fun with this.

STM

I have a 3 filter Hoya HMC set in 72mm (for my 180mm f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.4 and a 72mm to 62mm step down adapter for my 105 mmf/1.8) in 2x (1 stop), 4x (2 stops) and 8x (3 stops). That is usually enough to handle pretty much any situation. I suppose if you needed more you could stack them but I don't recommend it because each successive piece of glass can add flare and degrade the image, even with the best ones.

Geoffc

I just bought online a Hoya 62mm Neutral Density ND-400 X, 9 Stop Multi-Coated Glass Filter.
It should be delivered tomorrow. Hoefully we will have a sunny day to see how well it works. I know of a place with a small waterfall not too far from where I live.

Thanks to all for helping.

While you're waiting for it to arrive, read up on calculating the exposure time. For example a ten stop like I recently purchased is 1000x standard exposure. Also you need to focus and compose before applying the filter as you can barely see through it.