d300S vs d7000.....

JMHPhotography

I am currently shooting with the D5100 and have invested in fast glass as in the Tamron 70-200 for the hockey pictures I shoot. I am getting ready to upgrade my camera this year and I do mainly shoot sports but do have a couple of weddings as well this year. So do I get a USED 300S or the 7000 new? I am pretty sure I am set on the 300S but I get alot of helpful advise from this site and value the opinions I get here.

Thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: 300S vs 7000.....

I sports is your main thing, I'd go with the 300s for extra focusing power.

My 2¢

stmv

The D300S has a deeper bracket depth, and I believe a deeper memory buffer/burst rate.

Built better, but slightly older sensor,, but difference is minute.

D7000 slighlty lighter, takes slightly more detailed images.

but,,, new D7000 are bargains right now at 820 dollars!

You will be happy with either.

fotojack

Ditto. I'd take the D300S over the D7000 in a heartbeat! CMOS sensor, a workhorse of a camera, beautifully built.....arguably one of the best DSLR's Nikon has ever built, and that includes the D300 (which I would prefer). :)

Bukitimah

This is hotly debated in many forums. With so many newer models, both have dropped to less than USD800 in the per-owned market. Good for people like me that don't mind pre-owned.

I hope lenses will also fall the same way as camera. Ultimately, it is all about the person behind it than the equipment.

Epoc

I've had both and still own the 7000. Traded my 300s for a 700. Purely for sports, I'd go the 300s, the AF is kickass, the fps is better and its built like a tank. BUT, the 7000 leaves it quietly behind in the high ISO department. If I were shooting indoor sports, I think it would be a toss up. Outdoor, no question go the 300s.

Oh and the 7000 has a CMOS sensor as well. :)

Last edited:

JMHPhotography

Thanks everyone for all the advise.... lots to think about as much as I LOVE taking hockey pictures it doesnt fund my passion for pictures. I have recently booked a couple of weddings and kids session and have a friend that is helping as a second shooter for weddings so I think I may invest in the 7000 and may wait to see if the price drops just a lil more right now investing in glass and education is probably my best bet but how know some day I may just be the a Pittsburgh Penguins staff photographer one can dream right? I love the really sound advice I get on this forum

davidnholtjr

I am currently shooting with the D5100 and have invested in fast glass as in the Tamron 70-200 for the hockey pictures I shoot. I am getting ready to upgrade my camera this year and I do mainly shoot sports but do have a couple of weddings as well this year. So do I get a USED 300S or the 7000 new? I am pretty sure I am set on the 300S but I get alot of helpful advise from this site and value the opinions I get here.

Thanks

if you want a fast camera (AF, FPS and bigger buffer) then get the D300s but if you want a better sensor which the D5100 and D7000 have over the D300s then stay with your D5100 or get the D7000.

Geoffc

I've had both and still own the 7000. Traded my 300s for a 700. Purely for sports, I'd go the 300s, the AF is kickass, the fps is better and its built like a tank. BUT, the 7000 leaves it quietly behind in the high ISO department. If I were shooting indoor sports, I think it would be a toss up. Outdoor, no question go the 300s.

Oh and the 7000 has a CMOS sensor as well. :)

I think this sums it up perfectly. I have a 300s and regard it as fantastic unless I need high iso ( much above 800 if I want real detail). If nikon had done the D400 I wouldn't have gone FX with the D800 which was as close to the 300s I could get body wise. The AF is also a big plus. The 300s focuses in very low light/ contrast situations. I recently sold my D600 because it could touch the 300s AF in this respect and the 7000 has a very similar system.