I want to upgrade my SB-700 Flash....which one would you get.....

gerfoto

Hello,
I want to upgrade my SB-700 Flash....which one would you get, the SB-900 or the 4809 SB-910, by the why the 4809 ?

Thanks for your help,
G

Fred Kingston

SB-910...is an improved model of the 900... There were some reported issues with the 900 when it first came out that could potentially damage the device if allowed to over-heat... The 910 added circuit protection that would prevent the device from stabbing itself in its own heart... ;)

There is no performance or feature difference between the two models... You may be able to find new 900s deeply discounted because of the early problems... which might be an advantage... If you do get a 900, just research their early problems and make sure you're aware of its potential limitation.

RockyNH_RIP

Hello,
I want to upgrade my SB-700 Flash....which one would you get, the SB-900 or the 4809 SB-910, by the why the 4809 ?

Thanks for your help,
G

Hi, just curious... is there a special reason that you ar elooking to upgrade?? Something your 700 cannot do that you need?

I have a 700 hence my curiousity..

Thanks,

Pat in NH

SBX247

When doing my research I found that the SB-700 was the best flash pound for pound.. And the SB-910 would over heat way before the SB-700 would. My next purchases would be another SB-700 for portrait work / backup .

FastGlass

The Sb910 came out with protection built in to protect against overheating. The SB900 simply shut down once the internal temp got to a certain temp. The SB910 wont shut down but will slow down until its cool enough to shoot one right after another. To my understanding in order for the SB900 to shut down you would have to fire off flashes right after another s fast as the flash could keep up. Most people would never experience the issue. I own the SB800 and love it. It actually has more power than the 900 But because its discontinued its hard to find. If I had to choose again or if I need another speedlight it would be the 910. The 910 has more bells and whistles. It comes with two color correction domes to balance your ambiant light. Once installed on the flash, it automatically tells your camera your using it and your camera will auto adjust WB. Another feature I like is the flash pattern options. You can choose spot or matrix. In spot mode, the majority of power is concentrated in almost a straight beam giving alot of power over a long distance. The matrix option is for group shots where you have no fall off from center to the edge of the shot. Well theres my 2 cents. Good luck.