future new nikon owner

MojojoJay

Hi, I'm planning to buy Nikon SLR next week and I don't know what model to choose :confused:
I'm a beginner and planning to enroll in basic photography.
Is choosing an advance model important? or it just depends on its lens to capture a great photo?

Thanks!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Start with a model you can afford and that will leave you some money to get a prime (non-zoom) lens. There will be a learning curve that you'll have to steer through, and, depending on the time you set away to learn and practice, you'll start getting better pictures. Don't expect to become a master in the first week.

If money is a important factor, consider buying a model that has recently been replaced. They are usually interesting as the dealers want to get the newer models to sell more and there is sometimes not that much quality difference when you look at the final picture. The more expensive models could help you print larger pictures, but they need to be fairly large to really see the quality difference. When you get better, you'll probably know what to buy. Don't even think that this will be your last camera… :)

Welcome to Nikonites.

stmv

budget

Lowest budget -> D70, D50
lower budget -> D80, D90
modest budget -> 3200 or 5100
Mid range budget -> 5200 or 7000

never get too hang up,, these cameras resell pretty good down the road or make great backups.

MojojoJay

budget

Lowest budget -> D70, D50
lower budget -> D80, D90
modest budget -> 3200 or 5100
Mid range budget -> 5200 or 7000

never get too hang up,, these cameras resell pretty good down the road or make great backups.

I'm thinkin of choosing between 3200 or 5100. . which is better?

MojojoJay

Start with a model you can afford and that will leave you some money to get a prime (non-zoom) lens. There will be a learning curve that you'll have to steer through, and, depending on the time you set away to learn and practice, you'll start getting better pictures. Don't expect to become a master in the first week.

If money is a important factor, consider buying a model that has recently been replaced. They are usually interesting as the dealers want to get the newer models to sell more and there is sometimes not that much quality difference when you look at the final picture. The more expensive models could help you print larger pictures, but they need to be fairly large to really see the quality difference. When you get better, you'll probably know what to buy. Don't even think that this will be your last camera… :)

Welcome to Nikonites.

Thanks!! really helpful! but now what are prime and zoom lens? whats the difference? Im planning of either 5100 or 3200 with 18-105mm

The 5100 has some features the 3200 doesn't there are several comparisons on the internet like this one Nikon D3200 vs D5100 - Our Analysis

I just bought a D5100 to replace my D3100 and I bought a Refurbished body and could not be happier with it. That saves you some money to upgrade your lenses right off the bat. I don't have the 18-105mm zoom but I think it would be a better choice than the 18-55 kit lens they normally come with. This is where I got mine Cameras for Sale | Buy a Digital Camera from Cameta Camera What I liked about them is the warranty they offer.

All Refurbished Models...
warranty.gif
Are inspected and tested by the manufacturer to meet original specs
Have minimal to no use, and are in mint or near-mint condition
Are in BRAND NEW operating condition
Are covered by a FULL 1-YEAR WARRANTY on parts and labor
Are 100% USA models... no gray market products or imports
I am sure there are other places out there but I bought from them and had a good outcome.

MojojoJay

The 5100 has some features the 3200 doesn't there are several comparisons on the internet like this one Nikon D3200 vs D5100 - Our Analysis

I just bought a D5100 to replace my D3100 and I bought a Refurbished body and could not be happier with it. That saves you some money to upgrade your lenses right off the bat. I don't have the 18-105mm zoom but I think it would be a better choice than the 18-55 kit lens they normally come with. This is where I got mine Cameras for Sale | Buy a Digital Camera from Cameta Camera What I liked about them is the warranty they offer.

All Refurbished Models...
warranty.gif
Are inspected and tested by the manufacturer to meet original specs
Have minimal to no use, and are in mint or near-mint condition
Are in BRAND NEW operating condition
Are covered by a FULL 1-YEAR WARRANTY on parts and labor
Are 100% USA models... no gray market products or imports
I am sure there are other places out there but I bought from them and had a good outcome.

Thanks! just read the comparison and I'm beginning to like 5100. how about D3200's high resolution 24MP? wished 5100 had the same..

BobbyW

Welcome....I'm a
NEWBIE.gif
too.

I was faced with the exact choice, but adding a few dollars to the D3200 kit, I was able to get a D5100 kit, wich had more of the options I could have never done without.

Of course it is imperative for you to do what you can within your means, but if you do choose the D5100 you won't be disappointed.

One tip.....within every monster camera lies a simple basic camera.

Don't be too overwhelmed by all the bells & whistles, for as you grow progressively familiar with your camera all those options will eventually become clear as crystal.
yes02ix3.gif

We were all in your shoes, so to speak, at one time too.

JFYI....I'm sure if you ever have a question in need of an excellent answer, I'm sure some of the resident
quotess.gif
'shutter bug gurus'
quotess.gif
will be more than happy to help you!
good.gif

MojojoJay

Thanks all!!! I have a new question now... i am now planning between three; d3200, d90 and d5100. what i liked the most WAS d5100, but i just found out that d5100 dont have AF motor which will be a big help when i updated my lens in the future. so now im confused what will I choose. or do you have any other suggestions? Thank you!!! :)

BobbyW

..... i just found out that d5100 dont have AF motor which will be a big help when i updated my lens in the future. so now im confused what will I choose. or do you have any other suggestions? Thank you!!! :)

Well, I suggest that you re-check your information/specifications thoroughly.
Read%20the%20paper_smile28.gif

The latest Nikon Cameras can use all lenses new & old, but most of the Nikon Camera line do not have AF Motors, which are usually contained in the lenses, not in the camera bodies.
exitstageright.gif

The only real advantage of using an older (D7000, etc...) camera with an internal motor IMHO is simply that you can use older (cheaper) pre AF-S lenses, but also IMHO the loss of the advantages & latest advances in technology, speed, quietness, & accuracy would be a negative tradeoff.

Your photographic needs & budgetary constraints are paramount issues that should be studied carefully.

In the end the final choice is, of course, ultimately yours.

cheerskj4.gif

Last edited: