How to learn??

jd1515

I have a d3100 and shoot in auto. I'd love to learn how to use the manual features of the camera. I know that I need to learn about ISO, aperture, f stops, etc. but I don't know the best way of doing this. Should I get the d3100 for dummies book? Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks!

SuperSpike113

I found some tutorials on You Tube that explained it all. One I watched was Easy Exposure with Oksana- they are very informational if you can get past her accent.

Moab Man

I started with Aperture priority and took pictures of something close and moved through F stops to see the change.

Then jump over to Shutter priority and shoot something moving. Adjust the shutter speed to see how it's affected.

Pick whatever setting and try out the different white balances and see what that does to your pictures color.

Then in manual you can play with all of these settings. It can be frustrated but taking lots of pictures just to take them will really help you to figure it out.

I have also found participating in the Project 365 (although you would be late to the party but could still do it) has really taught me a lot and kept me actively shooting and learning.

STM

Why not look into a basic photography course at a community college? That is the best way to get practical experience and background on both the science and art of photography. There are online courses as well, but they are probably more expensive in the long run.

Just-Clayton

I kind of knew the basics before coming to this forum. I read different instructions and tutorials. When I came to this forum I was able to learn even more. Just ask your questions.