Mode P

Papperclippy

Im a new 5200 owner and first time dslr camera owner reading through the manual. Is there any difference between selecting auto on the dial as opposed to P on the dial?

Cowboybillybob1

Read the manual that comes on the CD you got with the camera. It has much more details and should answer all your questions. If that does not help than come on back and ask away.

Fred Kingston

Auto is auto. You don't select anything. It makes all the decisions. P is the same, if you select nothing. However, if you do change any one of the primary settings, it automatically adjusts one or more of the other settings to give a correctly exposed picture.

Think of P as a joint venture between you and Auto to achieve good results.

Rexer John

It's good to know what all positions of the dial do but P is not a good setting IMHO.
Go full auto/scene modes if you are unsure. Chose aperture/shutter priority for better control. Full manual is good for learning more once you get A and S modes sorted.

Just my opinion but skip the P mode, it doesn't teach you anything.

Papperclippy

Thanks. I'm trying to transition to manual mode and actually learn what the different modes are. P and auto sounded the same to me after reading it three times so I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I'm assuming there's a manual on the cd then based on the first reply. Is it more detailed than the printed one that came in the box? I assumed it was the same one to keep on computer for a backup

BackdoorArts

Just my opinion but skip the P mode, it doesn't teach you anything.

I disagree. As Fred points out, P can teach you the interactive nature between Shutter Speed and Aperture. It picks what it likes, but as you change one value you can see how the other changes. I believe it's primary function is as a teaching tool for those looking to abandon Auto mode but lack the confidence to do it all themselves. I wouldn't recommend it as an ongoing, everyday shooting mode, but it sure as heck helped me out when I was learning.

I disagree. As Fred points out, P can teach you the interactive nature between Shutter Speed and Aperture. It picks what it likes, but as you change one value you can see how the other changes. I believe it's primary function is as a teaching tool for those looking to abandon Auto mode but lack the confidence to do it all themselves. I wouldn't recommend it as an ongoing, everyday shooting mode, but it sure as heck helped me out when I was learning.

It is a great mode for learning or really for everyday shooting. Just turn the control wheel and both Aperture and Shutter speed will change to give a correct exposure. Want to pick shutter speed? Turn the wheel. Want to pick aperture? Turn the wheel. In my opinion it really makes the A and S modes not needed since you can pick either one in P.

BackdoorArts

They're all needed!! :)

P may serve well for casual shooting, or anything where you can take a breath and concentrate perhaps. But for sports or catching birds in flight you're not always going to have the time to check where the latest metering stuck the shutter speed. And there are times when aperture is far more critical - sometimes due to subject matter and sometimes because you know your lens runs soft at certain spots.

There are intelligent reasons that Nikon gave you each of them, so while they may not be needed by you, they're more than likely needed by more than a couple others.

Rexer John

I disagree. As Fred points out, P can teach you the interactive nature between Shutter Speed and Aperture. It picks what it likes, but as you change one value you can see how the other changes

I take your point but A or S mode teach you the interactive nature between shutter and aperture. e.g. if you set to S mode and and rotate the dial to alter the speed, the aperture changes to maintain a correct exposure. Also vice versa.
For a learner I think it's easier to understand the changes by choosing either the shutter speed or aperture and watching the changes. Like I said, just my opinion, we each have different ways of going from A to B (from picking up a camera to knowing how to use it creatively).

Scott Murray

[h=2][h=1]Digital SLR Camera Basics (<click for hyperlink)[/h]
P, S, A, and M Modes (Exposure Modes)[/h]Shooting modes fall into three categories: auto, scene, and P, S, A, and M modes. In auto and scene modes the camera controls shutter speed and aperture. P, S, A, and M modes are known as exposure modes and give photographers a choice as to which elements of exposure—aperture or shutter speed—they wish to control.
Mode P (Programmed Auto)
The camera automatically adjusts aperture and shutter speed for optimal exposure, but the photographer can choose from different combinations of aperture and shutter speed that will produce the same exposure. This is known as flexible program.
Mode S (Shutter-Priority Auto)
The photographer chooses the shutter speed and the camera automatically adjusts aperture for optimal exposure.
Mode A (Aperture-Priority Auto)
The photographer chooses the aperture and the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed for optimal exposure.
  • Notethat in all three modes—P, S, and A—exposure is automatically adjusted for optimal results.
Mode M (Manual)
The photographer chooses both aperture and shutter speed, providing the greatest latitude for creative expression. Choosing the wrong combination could, however, result in photographs that are too bright (overexposed) or too dark (underexposed). We therefore recommend using the camera exposure indicator as a guide when choosing aperture and shutter speed.

SwampSniper

The manual that is on the CD has much more information on operating your camera.
All modes are fully explained in this manual.
Make sure you have a 1/3 ream of paper and ink for printing that amount.

SS