16-35 vs 14-24

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This is not a scientific experiment. I just went out with both lenses and shot from the same spot with the D700 at iso 200.
I shot both lenses at F4 to be fair and used jpegs straight out of the camera.

16-35
16-35.jpg

12-24 from same spot
14-24.jpg

16-35 100% crop right bottom corner (almost)
16-35crop100%.jpg

14-24 crop of about the same area
14-24 crop 100%.jpg

From what I see, there is not much difference in quality. But the 14-24 is wider.

I'll let you make your own mind if you have to get one or the other.

Thanks for the view.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Can you shoot both af 8 and/or 11 and post the results?

When it gets warmer maybe, but I would not expect to be able to see the difference because of the definition limits of our monitor screens and the size of the uploads allowed.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Both Tripod? maybe my imagination, but seems like the 16-35 is a hair sharper?

No tripod, hand held but shutter speed was 1/2000 for both. Now what does that say?
But it was very cold and windy and maybe, just maybe the focus distance was not EXACTLY the same. Yes, I just checked and the 14-24was focused about 1.3 feet beyond the 16-35.

So as I said, it was not scientific… :(

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The way I see it, unless someone really needed the extra 2mm and the 2.8 luminosity, the 16-35 is the bargain between the two. And it's a bit lighter and does take filters.

BackdoorArts

The folks at this site spent what I'm assuming is a lot of time putting together profiles of different lenses in a way that allows you to compare them both to other lenses and to itself (at various apertures) simply by mousing over the image and moving from one setting to the other. It captures pieces of an image taken at 3 specific spots on this chart...

ISO-12233-Chart-Diagram.jpg

... at varying focal lengths and apertures so that the full image is always comprised of the entire red box. My biggest concern with the 16-35 has always been box 3 at 16mm, where it's soft at almost every aperture. While not visible in your shots (I'd need to see full size jpgs to have a better idea) it's still a bit concerning to me since it's the widest setting that I'm most interested in, and the lens is 2/3 the price of the 14-24. Here's a link to a preset side-by-side of the two.

Regardless, it's food for thought. Thanks for taking the time, Marcel.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm very interested in the 16-35. Why did you get the 12-24? 16 wasn't wide enough? Any downsides on the 16-35?

It's the 14-24 Ted, Not 12-24. Why did I get it… NAS pure and simple. I thought I'd see more of a quality difference between the two.

TedG954

Well, I just bought one. The 16-35. And it's your fault Marcel. You had to remind me my birthday was coming up, and I hadn't gotten myself anything yet.

I'm looking forward to getting it.

As a side note, I ordered it from B&H.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, I just bought one. The 16-35. And it's your fault Marcel. You had to remind me my birthday was coming up, and I hadn't gotten myself anything yet.

Ah ted don't worry if it's my fault. I'm quite sure you will love this lens. I think it's a nice birthday gift. Too bad I had spent all my Amazon rebates… :)

BackdoorArts

I did a lot of pondering, thinking about what I did and didn't like about each, and moreso what I wanted and didn't want. Ultimately, the ability to stick a high value ND filter on there and do long daylight exposures without trying to figure out how else to make that happen has me willing to give it a go. Then went to B&H and saw that it was $150 cheaper than Amazon (who is usually right there with them). And then I remembered I had close to $60 in B&H dollars. I just hope they shop mine out first, Ted. ;)

And yes, Marcel, it's your fault. LOL

TedG954

Then went to B&H and saw that it was $150 cheaper than Amazon (who is usually right there with them). And then I remembered I had close to $60 in B&H dollars. I just hope they shop mine out first, Ted. ;)

The Race is on!

I found B&H to be the best price too. I first started ordering it from Adorama (same price) but they kept adding $111 for tax (maybe they opened a store in Florida) so I switched to B&H.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Now look what you've done Marcel!

You should start a review site and get kickbacks from a link!

I don't think I want to make money with my peers Rick. I'm just enjoying this for my own pleasure. I'm voluntarily slowing down work and photography is my retirement hobby. If I only could stop collecting lenses and cameras maybe I could work even less. :)