Nikon D 90 Manual Focus

Bikash

Dear FriendsI am new to DSLR , I have Nikon D90 with 18-105 lens. Please don't get pissed off for my silly questions. My Q is that can I focus the lens manually when the A-M Switch of lens is in A ( Auto) mode. and AF-M Switch in camera is in AF mode. I am asking this because suppose I want to zoom certain object but unable to complete focus that object , so in that case definitely I have to twist the lens (rotating the lens for zooming ) and then to get the clear focus I have to take help of Autofocus ... Is it possible

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyNH_RIP

Typically, the answer is no... The autofocus motor controls the lens focus when in A

If you want to manually over-ride, then you need to move the lens switch to M.

Pat in NH

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You could just re-focus by pressing the shutter button half-way down. If you want to work with a lens that does that, it has to be an "AF-S" lens. This means the focusing motor is in the lens and there is no mechanical coupling between the camera and the lens to prevent you to adjust focus manually without a switch.

Best of luck and welcome to Nikonites.

Enjoy your D90, it's a great camera.

Bikash

Dear Pat,
Thanks for your reply,
Then in this case I cannot zoom when the lens A-M Switch is in A mode ??
Then what is the correct procedure to zooming a object and to get a clear picture ,

Regards
Bikash

fotojack

Typically, the answer is no... The auto focus motor controls the lens focus when in A

If you want to manually over-ride, then you need to move the lens switch to A.

Pat in NH

Uh Pat...I think you mean if you want to manually over-ride, you move the lens switch to M. A is Auto...M is Manual. :)

RockyNH_RIP

Dear Pat,
Thanks for your reply,
Then in this case I cannot zoom when the lens A-M Switch is in A mode ??
Then what is the correct procedure to zooming a object and to get a clear picture ,

Regards
Bikash

The A/M switch does not affect the zoom, only whether you autofocus or manual focus.

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

Please note, the construction of the lens will not allow it to maintain focus as you zoom in and out (there's a technical word for that, but I haven't had coffee yet). If you want to zoom in to manual focus and zoom out to shoot you will need to do it in Live View mode using the +/- buttons and not touching the zoom on the lens.

Bikash

Dear All
Guys I am still confused, I mean to ask that If the Lens A-M switch is in A mode and camera AF M switch is in AF then can I rotate the lens for the zooming, I am using the AF-S Nikkor 18-105 lens
Thanks

KWJams

Not sure if I got this right -- but you adjust / zoom the lens by turning the aperture ring on the barrel of the lens. Then by holding down the shutter release button the auto-focus takes over and you will see a green light in the view finder or hear a chirp when the one of the auto-focus points ( seen in the viewfinder) has found something to focus on and the shutter will release.
If you are manually focusing the lens the same method of twisting the aperture ring until you get the composition that you want and then fine tune the focus with the smaller ring on the lens. It is the smaller ring that the auto focus drives to automatically fine tune the focus.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Dear All
Guys I am still confused, I mean to ask that If the Lens A-M switch is in A mode and camera AF M switch is in AF then can I rotate the lens for the zooming, I am using the AF-S Nikkor 18-105 lens
Thanks

Yes you can with an AF-S lens.

Bikash

Thanks guysI got it I was confusing that the aperture ring ( Long barrel, zoom ring ) as the focus , but in reality the small ring (lens focusing ring ) is the focus , Thanks a lot to all friends..Bikash