Nifty fifty or a trusty thirty-five?

funfortehfun

I was thinking of purchasing a lens soon, a lens for everyday use that's a lot lighter than my 60mm micro that I have to lug around all day. The 50mm 1.8G and 35mm DX 1.8G fit the bill perfectly, although I'm torn as to which one to choose. The optical quality on the 50 seems better, but the focal length isn't as good for some things as the 35, as 35 * 1.5 gives an almost-perfect focal length of 52.5. Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It all depends on what you like to take pictures of. If you prefer head and shoulder portraits, then the 50. But for all around performance, the 35 would be my choice.

Sambr

No question about it the! The 50 1.8G great lens I feel it's a better lens than the 35. Besides someday you will most likely move to FX.

Eye-level

Banned
Yeah but remember sir...how many 40mm fixed lens units were made for the masses back in the day..the reason...42.5 is the perfect match with the human eye in normal drudging around vision.

The 28 would be a nice lens to have...give me one before the 35 and 50 anyday of the week...DX or FX... :)

Sambr

Yeah but remember sir...how many 40mm fixed lens units were made for the masses back in the day..the reason...42.5 is the perfect match with the human eye in normal drudging around vision.

The 28 would be a nice lens to have...give me one before the 35 and 50 anyday of the week...DX or FX... :)

I am biased - I shoot long not wide my favorite lens is 300mmF4 after that the 70-200 2.8 VR

Sambr

I bought a Nikon 16-35VR F4 almost 2 years ago, thinking I would shoot "wide" more often - used it 4 times since then. I will try it with the D4 someday maybe :)