D40x - faint multiple spots on bright backgrounds?

stvn

Hi,
Has anyone experienced this problem with their D40x of faint spots on a bright background?
I have used 'lock up' to clean the sensor, I have also cleaned the mirror and top prism and changed lens' and still I get these faint spots:confused:

d40x-spots2.jpgd40x-spots.jpg

BackdoorArts

Dust spots on the sensor. Take a look under the D600 or D7000 forums and you're bound to find threads on them and how best to deal with them.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Your sensor need a good cleaning, probably a wet one at that.

Google sensor wet cleaning on Youtube and you'll see that it's not quite rocket science, but you do need the right stuff to do it properly.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
this is weird to say the least, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe it's time you send the camera for a good check-up?

stvn

Yes, the spots do line up. I have just used a prime 35mm lens and with the same settings used a 18-55mm lens with both set up on a tripod.

55mm.jpg35mm.jpg

I have cleaned 3 x places thoroughly so far in the camera:-
1) The Mirror
2) The Prism
3) The Sensor

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Using a strong light and magnifying glass, look at the "sensor" (it's really the OLPF, but I'm fine calling it a sensor) and see whether or not you can see these spots on the sensor. I wonder if these aren't old oil spots that have dried and hardened to the point that a simple cleaning won't remove them? I've read where people had to resort to high grade isopropanol to dissolve the spots. That said, perhaps paying for a professional cleaning might be safer. They'll have a tough time charging you if they can't clean it as well as bear the liability if something goes wrong.

Ruidoso Bill

Dave makes an excellent point, if simple wet cleaning doesn't cure the problem, leave it to a pro. Dust on the mirror or the prism have nothing to do with image capture.

stvn

Yes, I had the camera set on f22.
I am now going to do what Dave says and look at the sensor with a magnifying glass/torch light....watch this space!

stvn

OK, I have just looked at the OLPF with a torch and it looks mint to my naked eye from every angle ( I do not have a magnifying glass).
I guess I will have to send it back to Nikon.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
OK, I have just looked at the OLPF with a torch and it looks mint to my naked eye from every angle ( I do not have a magnifying glass).
I guess I will have to send it back to Nikon.

There must be a camera shop in your area that sell that service. If there is, I'd start there since this is not a warranty covered service. Or, buy yourself a sensor loupe (magnifier with less specifically made for sensor cleaning) and try a different cleaning liquid.

Do you really see these if you use apertures larger than f11? Do you really have to shoot at f22? I got caught while vacationing in Vietnam with many spots on my sensor and after noticing it tried to open up my aperture to hide the problem. There is also retouching in post processing but that should only be a "before cleaning is possible" solution.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It would appear that this is quite a common issue with f22 settings!
Does anyone have any experience with this sensoe loupe ?
DSLR Sensor Loupe - Sensor Inspection Devices

By the way thank you everyone for your invaluable advise :)

Yes, that's the one I got. BUT... do not put your camera on it's back for sensor cleaning as any particle will want to go right back where it came from. I put my camera on the tripod with the sensor facing about 30 degrees down so that particles go down instead of back on the sensor.

stvn

Actually I think I may have the solution.
Any bright background shots I will not go lower than f16 as this problem appears to be quite common when using f22.
This camera has already been back to Nikon oncefor a sensor clean (about 2 years ago) and I don't fancy making this a regular expense!
I know I could try and clean it myself and perhaps one day I will buy all the equipment and try it.. but just not now.

stvn

After a lot of thought I am going to send it back to Nikon for a thorough clean.

Perhaps a silly question but.....
'If I leave one lens on this camera (prime 35mm) permanently, I am guaranteed to never have to have it professionally cleaned again' ?

Last edited:

Rexer John

Have you had the lens off when when any type of suspended spray could be in the air?

Wife doing hairspray, or on the beach with sea spray etc.
The dots look to be pretty much the same size and the fact it's hard to clean suggests suspended wet contamination.
Try taking a photo completely out of focus, if it still shows the dots, it has to be the sensor.