Fort Pickens Cannon Emplacement

STM

I took this image of Shawna several years ago in one of the many cannon emplacements at FT Pickens at the western tip of our Pensacola Beach barrier island. It is a very old fort, built in the 1830's and was actually active all the way through WWII protecting our port from German U-boats. They actually sank one in 1943 and the bodies of 5 of the German sailors washed ashore and were buried just off the Fort's boundaries. It has been said it is haunted but I have yet to see any spooks in the 23 years I have been going there! It remained in yankee hands all 4 years of the War of Northern Aggression.

This particular summer day was overcast and the light in the emplacement was rather dim. I was shooting T-Max 100 with my F2S and 85mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor and, admittedly poor planning on my part, I did not have a tripod. I did, however, have a monopod in the car so I grabbed it. The exposure was around 1/2 second @ f/4 metered with a spot meter. I took several frames so I hopefully got one that was acceptably sharp.

ShawnaArches_zps3c0a9682.jpg

Last edited: