Rhode Island trek

garao

I enjoyed the PNW trek (June) so much, I went on the very next one (July) when my schedule opened up all of a sudden. This was mostly in the Newport area with David Tejada as one of the mentors. Great fun. No high contrast problems. Just hot and humid or thunderstorms and sideways rain.

85 1.4 - No story here, just the great sharpness and bokeh
d3x_newport_2010_0032.jpg

Dunno, mist be Fine Art - experimenting with lines. The drizzle isn't so visible in this web size image.
d3x_newport_2010_0106.jpg

Heading in, but I'll be out there again soon.
d3x_newport_2010_0162.jpg

When asked about going out while it's raining, he said "it's better than not going out at all!". I took a lot of shots on the schooner cruise, but this was my favorite.

At the start of each shoot, our lenses would fog up, coming from the air-conditioned bus into the humidity. So this is a soft focus filter shot of sorts. Which do you prefer? Color
d3x_newport_2010_0220c.jpg

or black and white
d3x_newport_2010_0220bw.jpg

or neither?

Outside the mansion - a pretty smile
d3x_newport_2010_0257.jpg

Dreamin
d3x_newport_2010_0337.jpg

Inside the mansion - I may have over sharpened this one?
d3x_newport_2010_0314.jpg

Shark! This is a 100% crop from 70-200 VR2 from the beach. I definitely need a longer lens.
d3x_newport_2010_0445.jpg

Oh crab! We (around 20 togs) were shooting her on the beach, but I would point my lens toward the surfers everytime I had no view.
d3x_newport_2010_0502.jpg

Shadow - another 100% crop
d3x_newport_2010_0577.jpg

Incandescant - I found the scene uninteresting, and the bus had to go, so I played around with WB. Does this work?
d3x_newport_2010_0769.jpg

Amber - I can't believe I actually got out at 4 freaking 30 in the am to shoot the sunrise. I must really love this photography thing.
d3x_newport_2010_0896.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments and Critiques welcome.

Last edited:

Browncoat

Please review the Critique Forum Rules, specifically:
2. Upload one image in your post. If you have a set, just provide a text link to the other images, either located in your member gallery here on Nikonites.com or off-site. This will prevent those with slower connections from getting bogged down.
There are some great shots here, some more interesting than others. But, you're experimenting and that's always a good thing.

I really like the B&W flower!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm really intrigued by that Incandescent shot. We had a last minute free week-end and are going to St. Michael's MD for a night so I might try it. Did you change the WB in camera or in post?

garao

I set the WB in camera. Then I tweaked the bright spot in the sky in post: reduced the blue channel and upped the red channel. Otherwise it would have been just a blue and white image. Enjoy your trip, Edward.

Oz1

Gene, being that I love B&W images of course my favorite is the B&W. I love the total black BG and the lone petal in the back makes it for me.
Congrats