Looking to buy 80-200 used, Please help!!!!

cgaffka

Hello everyone! First post to the forum here!

I am currently looking to purchase a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 D lens used. I've been searching eBay.
I've come across a few and wanted an opinion on this one. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money right now so I know I can't expect a tip-top shape lens.

Anyway, if someone could check this out and give me their opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it. The one thing that concerns me here is below the focus window, the spot where the badge for the lens is does not have the badge.. Is this some sort of after-market or fake lens?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Nikon Nikkor 80 200mm F 2 8 AF D 2 Ring Built in Tripod Collar Zoom Lens 0018208019854 | eBay

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
That's odd that it doesn't have the badge. It looks like it's been covered over or replaced with rubber. I would ask the seller what happened to it, and for a pic of a serial number - it looks too perfect to be fake, but you never know.

cgaffka

What badge? Maybe you are pertaining to the plate?

Wasn't sure whether it was called a badge or a plate. But as John said, it looks like it's been replaced with a piece of rubber. I sent the seller a message so hopefully I get a reply back soon.

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it and glad to have found this forum!

cgaffka

dont buy anything unless is got an optical stabilizer in it ....

I've borrowed this lens from a friend and loved it. Unfortunately it doesn't have an optical stabilizer in it, but for the money I can spend right now, It seems to be one of the best. Unless you have any other suggestions, I'm open to them!

pedroj

I have this lens and it does a great job...I don't understand this "don't buy anything unless it has optical stabilizer in it"....

Epoc

Consider the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 v2. It's great value. Tack sharp, great AF and good in low light. Can be had in great condition for $500-$600 or if you can go another couple of hundred, the OS version is a real competitor to the Nikon 200-700 VR. Just something else to look out for.

Pierro

What badge? Maybe you are pertaining to the plate?

The gold one thats normally on all 80-200 dual ring lenses

14w7rs5.jpg

Last edited:

cgaffka

That's odd that it doesn't have the badge. It looks like it's been covered over or replaced with rubber. I would ask the seller what happened to it, and for a pic of a serial number - it looks too perfect to be fake, but you never know.

Seller says "Yes the rubber instead of information badge seems to have been done by a previous owner. I got this lens used around 2004. Without front cap, only rear cap. Hoya UV filter included. Serial # is 787xxx. But I don't know what the year of manufacture would be."

However, after a little more digging on eBay, I came across another and think I may have snagged a decent one. It's definitely on the ugly side, but should do just what I need it to do for my budget!
Nikon 80 200mm 2 8 D Ed AF Lens 2 Ring Version w Tripod Collar 0018208019854 | eBay

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I look forward to spending some time in this forum!