Another Remote Flash Question.

GaryA

I am new to the forums and apologize in advance, if the question has been asked and answered before.

I am using a Nikon D3200 with a SB700 flash. I want to be able to use the SB700 and additional flash guns, off-camera, wirelessly. I know I can use the camera's built in flash to activate the SB700. My question is, should I buy another SB700 to use as my second flash or is there a less expensive way to get the same results? I am not concerned with the cost if this is the only way to go.

Thank you all for your input.

Gary

huds.394

Depends on what you are trying to do. I wanted to try some remote flash stuff, but didn't want to spend the amounts of money that some of the solutions out there require. So I bought some cheap stuff just to try and it has worked out pretty cool. You cant do TTL or adjust the flashes from the trigger, but it was plenty functional for me to play with some techniques. I got a trigger, two receivers, to speedlights, two stands and four umbrellas, all under $250.00. I have included some links below of what I got. Check em out and it may be something that can save you some dough.

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Trigger for External Speelights with 1 Trigger and 2 Receivers (NPT-04+extra receiver): Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Speedlite YN560 Flash for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus Cameras: Electronics

Amazon.com: ePhoto 2 x off Camera flash Photography Umbrella Flash Shoe Mount Swivel Flash Adapter: ePhotoInc

GaryA

Thanks for the advice and links. I spend so much time on Amazon looking for equipment and reading reviews. Most products will not work with the D3200 or the D3200 is not listed as compatible. Are you using the D3200 with the equipment you have listed?

Thanks again
Gary

Epoc

I use Yongnuo 603 triggers and Yongnuo 560 II flashes. All manual, but great value for money. I have yet to have a misfire and the triggers will fire from 50+ meters away. They can act as a sender and receiver. I also use a SB600 on camera at the same time if needed.

huds.394

I have used the trigger with a D90 and a D5000 and a D800 and haven't had a problem with any of them. I have used the receivers with the two YN560s and two different SB700s, also without issue. Like I said, it is an all manual solution, so you really need to know how the flashes will effect your exposure as it WILL NOT account for that at all in any of your metering. But after enough trial and error it is easy enough to figure out. And it is tons of fun to play with. Just used the set up on a big commercial shoot that I did. I didnt originally plan to use any of it, but I had thrown it in the trunk just in case, and it ended up helping me get creative in ways that I hadnt even thought about doing at the onset and the client was really pleased with the end result.

GaryA

Thanks guys. I think, for the price, I am going to buy them. I already have an SB700 but I will use that as a bounce flash when I am not using this off camera setups.

RockyNH_RIP

I have recently acquired a pair of inexpensive light stands with umbrellas, Cowboy Studio Triggers and a Yougnuo 560 II speedlight. I also have an sb-700. I did 2 shoots this weekend.

560II and triggers...

Both speedlights on stands with umbrellas and triggers..

All worked well and I was pleased, especially with the Yongnuo speedlight. I also looked at the Yongnuo triggers and liked them but they were a pair (transciever) so you can use 1 remote. I got the cowboy studio and it included a trans & 2 recievers so I could fire 2 flashes.

Pat in NH

GaryA

Thanks everyone for helping with my questions about off camera flash equipment. I just placed an order on Amazon for stands, umbrellas, flash shoe/umbrella holders, wireless triggers and speed lights. I will test this equipment using my D3200 and SB700 to see if everything is compatible and works without failing. At that point I will post a review so, other members, with similar questions to mine will have more of the great support this forum has to offer.

GaryA