D3100 video recording

bigmags14

I have been getting terrible video quality from my D3100 with the kit 18-55mm lens. I use the 1080p vide @ 24 fps with a sandisk class 10 card. My pictures always look fine. My video is always grainy no matter what. Even at iso 100. Iso makes no difference. I usually use Manual mode for video. I usually use f/8 or so and a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second usually. I don't know where i'm going wrong. What could be causing the grain? I need this resolved because I am going away tomorrow and I want to shoot some good video. Please help.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
grainy like the video is compressed or grainy like ISO, not enough light grainy? Can you post an example?

bigmags14

i guess i'd say like a high iso, but i dont know about it being compressed. The funny thing is, after uploaded to youtube the grain goes away. i'd upload a video, but it wouldn't be grainy after youtube. so i guess the camera is ok, but its weird how its grainy when i view it on my mac but fine after youtube.

bigmags14

Err kind of. I tried the 720p one evening when there wasnt a lot of light. It was very dark and the 1080p was a lot brighter. Im a little confused on what ones better and what the difference is.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Err kind of. I tried the 720p one evening when there wasnt a lot of light. It was very dark and the 1080p was a lot brighter. Im a little confused on what ones better and what the difference is.

Difference = resolution.

What program are you viewing the video with on your computer? I wonder if it's in some kind of sample viewing/editing mode?

bigmags14

I have a mac so I usually use quicktime player. I called nikon about the issue and they reccomended the nikon nx2 program. Videos looks grainy in both.

Epoc

1080p is the resolution. fps has nothing to do with resolution. It's the amount of individual frames it takes per second. You should be able to set it at 1080p 30fps. 24fps is used mainly for the"film" look. Your TV uses 30fps if your in the US.