What camera to buy? 3100 or 3200?

jen_storm

Hi

I am a complete novice, having only used compact cameras.

I am looking to buy a Nikon camera. My budget is more aimed at a 3100 or 3200 as I need to buy photo software and possibly buy an extra lense/speedlight flash.

I plan to use this camera to teach myself how to become a professional one day (if I get good enough).

I have to move quite often due to my husbands job so I hoping to one day make money from photography on the side as a extra income. I am interested in newborn baby shots/portraits. I also like taking landscape photos and photos of my dogs.

I am unsure which camera to buy and I am getting confused with some reviews I have read.

I have heard that the larger the sensor, the better the camera - therefore should I go for 3200 over the 3100?

I do not have the intention at this time to print very large prints, however this could be an option one day. Therefore I am not sure I require 24mp, however I guess it would not harm to have a camera that offers this incase I do.

I have seen something about the 3100 and 3200 not having autobracketing and this being a negative thing - what is this? When would you have to use this as I am not sure if I would prefer a camera with this option if it is a really positive thing?

The price difference I have found is approx £90 between the 3100 and 3200.

I have no idea about these cameras so if any one can help and explain in a way a complete novice can understand, I would be most grateful.

Many Thanks

Jen xx

AC016

Here is a quick comparison of the two cameras:

Nikon D3200 vs D3100 - Our Analysis

Go for the 3200. No point in getting an older model when the newer model is in reach for you. Yes, it is not all about megapixels. 24 is alot. However, you will get better resolution overall. You will also be able to crop more before the photo starts to pixelate. I have printed 8 x 11 photos from a d3000 (10mp) and they look just fine. You will also get more detail in your photos by using the 24mp. So, if you can afford the 90 pounds, go for the 3200. Enjoy!

You might also want to look at the D5100 or D7000. The D5100 offers a a few options the D3XXX does not offer like wireless remote control and Bracketing. There is also a D5200 that has the larger sensor also but the Prices on the D5100 are pretty good now.

I had the D3100 till I dropped and broke it this week and the leap to the D5100 was an easy choice.

jen_storm

Hi

Thank you both for replying.

What is bracketing? What makes that a positive thing to have please and what would I use wireless remote control for?
I can not afford a 7000 but 5100 would be in my budget. Thanks

AC016

Bracketing is taking a number of photos of the same scene, at different settings. This is useful when it is hard to get the perfect exposure. A wireless remote is very handy if you want to take pictures of you in them. It prevents you from running to beat the timer. It is also useful when taking long exposures or when you want to not touch the camera in order to reduce camera shake as much as possible.

jen_storm

is that why you decided to go for the 5100 instead of the 3200 when your 3100 broke?

Is the 5100 as strong as the 3200? As I read somewhere it isnt as sturdy, possibly due to the swivel LCD?

Thanks

AC016

is that why you decided to go for the 5100 instead of the 3200 when your 3100 broke?

Is the 5100 as strong as the 3200? As I read somewhere it isnt as sturdy, possibly due to the swivel LCD?

Thanks

Don't listen to anyone who says that the swivel screen is flimsy or that it will easly break. I also own a Canon Elura 100 that has a swivel screen and i have had that for 6+ years! It has never broken and i have twisted that thing around in all sorts of ways. Same goes for the 5100. The swivel sreen is sturdy. Of course, like anything else, it is not indestructible. But you would seriously have to manipulate it with unecessary force to break it. In regards to the body, all the Nikon cameras up to the D7000 have ABS plastic body frames - the D7000 only has a partial mag-alloy frame, the majority of it is ABS plastic. You have to be very careful with what you read in reviews.

jen_storm

ah great. that sounds good. I think you may have sold the 5100 to me.
I want something I can grow into a bit more and sounds like this might be the right one.

I think I will purchase it with the standard 18-55mm as that seems to be what is available. Do you recommend another lense at all as I was thinking of buying two?

Also would you say this is quite easy to use for a beginner, as the 3100 and 3200 had step by step guides where as I am not sure this one has.

Thanks very much for your help. I am glad I asked the question now.

AC016

ah great. that sounds good. I think you may have sold the 5100 to me.
I want something I can grow into a bit more and sounds like this might be the right one.

I think I will purchase it with the standard 18-55mm as that seems to be what is available. Do you recommend another lense at all as I was thinking of buying two?

Also would you say this is quite easy to use for a beginner, as the 3100 and 3200 had step by step guides where as I am not sure this one has.

Thanks very much for your help. I am glad I asked the question now.

From using a D3000, the D5100 is no harder to use. Of course, there are a a few more features, but that is all in the manual. You should have no problem using it. I bought a 55-200mm VR lens when i got my D3000 and it has served me very well. I don't beleive there is another lens out there that can beat it in terms of price and quality. if you are into portraits, consider a prime lens. Choosing a prime lens, you will have to think on how far back you are willing to stand from the subject, or how close for that matter. Also consider what you want to get in the frame. I am sure there are others on here who can suggest a good portrait lens for you.

jen_storm

Thank you very much for all your help.
I am going searching for the best 5100 deal now.

Im sure I will be back on this forum when I need further advice after I have the camera itself.

suvlady

Thank you very much for all your help.
I am going searching for the best 5100 deal now.

Im sure I will be back on this forum when I need further advice after I have the camera itself.

I would suggest you take a hard look at the D5200. It has some great features that the D3200 does not and it has the same insides as the more expensive D7000. I think you will outgrow the D3200 quickly and you will find the features of the D5200 more useful and you can grow with it. Not to mention the 24 megapixels, if you crop pictures alot.