Noisy lens

§am

Afternoon all,

Just to ask, if any of you 55-200mm VR users have noticed how noisy your lens is when focusing?
I was using it the other day in the silence of my house (rare thing), and couldn't help but notice just how noisy it was.

I appreciate it has a motor in it, but even then, seemed more noisier than my 18-55mm.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Sam. It's typical for the consumer lenses especially with most 3rd party lenses. Some lenses may be quiet but are slow when in comes to focusing or hunts. Yours might be a little noisier but the price is much cheaper compared to the pro lenses which focuses faster and quieter.

§am

I was just surprised at how much more nosier it was compared to the consumer 18-55mm

Might go try out another sample and see if it is something across the board, or just mine. Now if only there was a local high street retailer I could go to that stocked lenses :(

AC016

lol, i should not worry about it. All lenses with built in motors make some noise, some more than others. If you heard my 50mm on my D80, you would freak out! Even if you were to get another copy of the lens, i don't think it will be any less noisy. Put it out of your mind.

Scott Murray

My 80-400mm VR is very noisy and has been since new. The VR in it makes the noise, try switching VR of and see if the noise is still there! I have had my lens for 3+ years and no issues at all.

BackdoorArts

My Sigma 150-500mm clicks and clunks its way through, but I love it anyway. My 50mm 1.8G freaks me out because I don't think it's focusing. When it makes minute adjustments it is dead silent. I sometimes need to focus away and then refocus just so I know it's working.

§am

Thanks for the replies everyone.
It'll bug me 'til I know better, but in the meantime, I will just make sure there is some background noise when using that particular lens :p

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Have you tried to turn off the VR to see if the noise coiuld come from the VR and not the focusing?