Broken Lens

dwibber

I recently purchased a d3100.I also bought a nikon 55-200mm 1:4-5.6g ED AF-S Lens of ebay. When attached and the lens is set to AUTO the camera will not attempt to autofocus. The images are blurry and i can not hear any sound coming from the motor in the lens. Do you think i have bought a broken lens. Much appreciated.

carguy

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like an issue for sure. Is there a local camera shop that is recommended? Take it to them and have things checked out.

carguy

Can you post a link to the listing? What did the seller say about the condition of the equipment?

Depending on what is stated in the listing, you may have a few options:

1 - Contact the seller directly explaining the condition of the equipment when you received it. Work something out with them.
2 - File a dispute through ebay (did you pay via Paypal). They will investigate and move forward from there.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

TedG954

If you paid via Paypal, you have recourse. Ebay will also assist with a mis-represented item. Contact both and open a dispute. If you paid with a credit card, you also have recourse.

carguy

If you paid via Paypal, you have recourse. Ebay will also assist with a mis-represented item. Contact both and open a dispute. If you paid with a credit card, you also have recourse.

If the lens was described as in working order somehow, he would only need to file a dispute with ebay, not both ebay and paypal.
If the condition of the lens was not described, working or not, and if he does not have evidence he asked what the condition was before buying, he may not have much recourse at all. It may be a 'as-is' type issue. We'll see.