Comments on this tripod please.

SwampSniper

Alex66

The legs are stellar I have the same ones can take with the right head take a lot of weight (10x8 LF). Can not comment on the head I am one of those rare people who do not get on with ball heads, but its specs look ok for your camera. The tripod, well mine takes a lot of abuse so is a sound purchase.

BackdoorArts

I've got the same tripod and the C2 variant of the head. Absolutely love mine. Rock solid. It easily handles my Sigma 150-500mm and my D600 with any other lens I throw on it. I've used it once with a Sigma 120-300mm (twice the weight) with my brother's Canon and it was still solid as a rock.

BackdoorArts

The head has two ball adjustments, a smaller screw to adjust overall tension and a short throw lever that will release and lock it. So with the lever in the "unlocked" position you can have as little or as much tension as you want to allow for subtle movement changes (i.e. high tension but not locked) and then relocking. Real nice head.

SwampSniper

Thanks Jake, I have found my tripod! Think I'll do o.k. with the camera. Now,
I just have to get my head wrapped around elements 11......that will be a bigger task.

Thanks again fellows,

SS

PapaST

Chiming in late... I have the exact same setup but the C2 like Jake. Great tripod and head. The QR plate on yours looks much cleaner and flatter. The friction knob works great. Adjusting the friction to the amount of weight you're holding helps give it a smooth articulation no matter how big or small.

VectorZ

So aside from the lighter weight, what is the main advantage of these very expensive tripods? I have a Sunpak with a pistol grip I got at Best Buy for about $30, it's pretty heavy, but does everything I want, and when I take it to the beach or get in the middle of a stream I don't worry about it. Fill me in...

CajunJosh

So aside from the lighter weight, what is the main advantage of these very expensive tripods? I have a Sunpak with a pistol grip I got at Best Buy for about $30, it's pretty heavy, but does everything I want, and when I take it to the beach or get in the middle of a stream I don't worry about it. Fill me in...

You just have to use what works for you. If you are getting the results you want out of that tripod then great! I know I have used a cheap plastic tripod and my point of failure was the locking mechanisms on the legs. It didn't break but one of the legs collapsed (its been years and I can't remember but there might have been a little moisture on the leg surface). Thankfully I just had an OLD kodak point and shoot digital camera on the tripod.

My personal philosophy is if I'm going to have on average $4,000 in body and lens hovering a couple feet off the ground I want to make sure I trust the device holding it up there.

Now on the features side, you might be limited by the cheaper tripods on adjusting your tripod footprint (angle the legs can extend outward). I've setup my manfrotto in ways before that allowed me to shoot a fatality accident scene at work by having the camera over the side of the bridge. Some of the cheaper tripods only allow the legs to be spread to a certain degree. I often times have the tripod legs set at different angles depending on the footing.

This was a recent shot that I wanted a wide footprint for: http://nikonites.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=20907&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=11637

Last edited:

VectorZ

You just have to use what works for you. If you are getting the results you want out of that tripod then great! I know I have used a cheap plastic tripod and my point of failure was the locking mechanisms on the legs. It didn't break but one of the legs collapsed (its been years and I can't remember but there might have been a little moisture on the leg surface). Thankfully I just had an OLD kodak point and shoot digital camera on the tripod.

My personal philosophy is if I'm going to have on average $4,000 in body and lens hovering a couple feet off the ground I want to make sure I trust the device holding it up there.

Now on the features side, you might be limited by the cheaper tripods on adjusting your tripod footprint (angle the legs can extend outward). I've setup my manfrotto in ways before that allowed me to shoot a fatality accident scene at work by having the camera over the side of the bridge. Some of the cheaper tripods only allow the legs to be spread to a certain degree. I often times have the tripod legs set at different angles depending on the footing.

This was a recent shot that I wanted a wide footprint for: Gallery Message - Nikonites Gallery

Excellent reply, that all makes a lot of sense. I really like the over the water shot, living in Oregon there are lots of applications for that!

SwampSniper

Well the tripod finally came in. This is an awesome tripod for my uses. The
advise here was excellent and dead on. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Plenty of height, stability, versatile setups, friction adjustment on the ball.
I don't think I could be happier.

Thanks for the help folks. This is indeed an excellent site.

I have been reading many of the posts, viewed the photos and read
the advise given to many. It's all been constructive, given with the
intent to help improve ones photography skills. I am truly amazed.

Making the transition from my FM2 to the D600 will be a fun endeavor
with the backing of this group.

Oh! The photos here have been incredible.

Thanks again to everyone.

SS