Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G & filter

WelshSnapper

Hi All

Have a D5100 with a standard lense and was set to purchase the 35mm f/1.8g. However after doing a bit of subjective research am swaying towards the 50mm now.

Looking at purchasing from Amazon UK. I know the use of just a standard filter to protect the lense is subjective anyway, but I note there are Hoya filters linked to this lense, some seem to state "screw on" filter, and others not? Which one will fit, or will both - I also assume it is a 58mm filter.

So, anyone got any thoughts on the 35 or 50 choice? I want to take a lot of portrait photos of kids etc with good Bokeh on a limited budget so think these two lenses should satisfy against budget.

Many Thanks

BackdoorArts

The 50mm lens take a screw on, 58mm filter (I don't know of another kind). I like having a filter on to, at a minimum, protect the lens, but will remove it when conditions favor not using it.

I've not used the 35mm, but the 50mm is a terrific lens that will give you marvelous bokeh (I've heard nothing but good things about the 35 as well). The 50mm will act as a 75mm on the DX camera, which is probably the better for portraits.

§am

The 50mm f/1.8G is a fantastic lens indeed. I chose mine over the 35mm when I was in the same position as you a little while back. Reviews, and general discussion on the lens puts it at just above the 35mm in terms of sharpness and IQ overall.
Some say it's even sharper than the 50mm f/1.4G b ut I've not used that one.

In terms of comparing it to the 35mm f/1.8G, I would suggest you set your standard (18-55mm?) lens at 35mm and 50mm and see the difference between the two.
I can just about get away with a 50mm in my house, but there have been times when I couldn't back up anymore so had to move the kids back instead, which has ruined the picture so to speak.

Also, I personally thought the 35mm was too close to the 50mm to have both, but again that will depend on your personal preference. I would say get the 50mm if you have the space to move around when taking pictures of the kids (but try the two focal lengths as I mentioned already using your 18-55mm).

The £149 you save by not buying the 35mm as well, can be saved towards a SB-700 flash :)

Also, not sure why you're buying from Amazon (today's price for the 50mm was/is £164), whereas WEX have it for £155
And in case you're still considering the 35mm, it's £150 at Amazon, but a huge saving of £1 if you get it from Calumet @ £149 :)

Check out UK prices here: Nikon Camera Price Comparison From CameraPriceBuster.co.uk

As for filters, as far as I know, most of the Nikkor lenses all use a screw on filter (50mm has a 58mm filter thread, the 35mm has a 52mm). Currently Camera King in Amazon market place has the best prices for the Hoya Pro-1D UV filters

Last edited:

WelshSnapper

Thanks for the responses....! As I posted that my friend who has the 50mm raised same point about it being awkward in tight spaces (a lot of my photos will be within house / baby portraits etc so can see why 35mm may be better option).

I googled the lense for purchase but could literally only find links to amazon and one other uk store that was far more expensive. Will check those online stores out. Not sure what to do now - had also read 50mm was sharper. My kit lense is the 18mm to 105mm but hadnt actually thought of checking out the distances would have to be away from subject on this lense....haha! Simplest things sometimes escape us.

And yes Flash will need to be next purchase..

Alex66

I use either the 50mm or 85mm for taking pictures of our daughter over the 35mm, I think the 50mm on DX is just a bit nicer perspective wise for portraits, it works out at the bottom end of the classical portrait range as far as perspective goes. Now I do not see how people can say there is not much difference between the 35mm and the 50mm I find there to be a world of difference, 99% of the time I use the 35mm as a walk around its a normal on DX. I would go for the 35mm as well as there are good reasons to own both and perhaps buy one of the lower cost off brand dedicated flash guns. If you really want to learn lighting there is a Yongnu that can be got cheep as chips is iTTL dedicated and has full manual override, look at things like the Strobist blogs for Ideas of what can be done with a few pounds on extras; stand brolly and a trigger/cable. For my first set of stand brolly and cable I spent less than £20 and used an old flash I had around the place (check trigger voltage). I liked the results that I now have a pretty complete set of studio lights, nothing special just low cost Chinese lights from the auction site and they cost me less for 3 lights, stands triggers and background supports and modifiers than the top of the range Nikon flash. I would not dream of buying an expensive flash now, its light and you can get good results for a lot less as long as you have a variable output from the flash.

BackdoorArts

As seen elsewhere, if you're looking to pull the trigger wait until Saturday as there seems to be a rebate of some significance coming on Nikon lenses.

§am

Current offer doing the rounds is US only.... UK ones just finished and there is 'claim by' period still in play so doubt there will be anything here until after that.

I'm just hoping there are some good discounts at Focus on Imaging in a few weeks :)

BackdoorArts

Not sure if they ship to the UK, and I've never dealt with the dealer, but there's a listing in the Classifieds section for a website called Bootic that has the 50mm 1.8g on sale today only (President's Day) for 30% off - that's about $45 more than the current Nikon discount.

Theowl

Not sure if they ship to the UK, and I've never dealt with the dealer, but there's a listing in the Classifieds section for a website called Bootic that has the 50mm 1.8g on sale today only (President's Day) for 30% off - that's about $45 more than the current Nikon discount.

Hi,

Sorry Bootic ships only to USA at the moment.

Cheers
Theowl - bootic.com/nikon

WelshSnapper

Well lens was delivered yesterday and spent most of day taking photos of my week old daughter. The difference in images and getting Bokeh more easily was tremendous - cant appreciate how much difference it has made.... And now I most definitely picked up the bug for more glass!

Flashgun next priority though. Thanks once again for all advice given

§am

Not in the UK though :'(

Hoping it's cheaper by first weekend in March at the show, otherwise I may well put off the 28mm 'til later in the year