Charging up Batteries on the Move

Matt_Paint

I have a trip coming up in New Zealand, involving the best part of a month in a campervan, with very limited access to mains power. Has anyone got any advice on recharging my camera (D600) batteries on the move? Also looking for some form of portable mass storage for backing up SD card files.

Scott Murray

I have just been researching the same for my D800 except for 56 days in Africa. There are a lot of options and honestly depending on what you wish to pay and lug around with you will depend on charging. Also NZ has power so a adapter would be on the cards, and a campervan has 240V ability.

Matt_Paint

Thanks muzza22au for the welcome and the quick reply. I will check on the spec. of the campervan regarding 240v supply - if it's 'onboard' then that will answer my question.

nzswift

Hi Matt.
Hope you're coming to the South (scenic) Island. If you are I'd be happy to tell you a few "must visit" places...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't know about you out there, but here in Canada we can get what they call an inverter to just plug in the car's lighter to get our 120V AC. I'll bet you you could find something equivalent out there you could use. The chargers don't need that much Amps. Here these things sell for about 60$ and go on sale for 39$ once a while.

Scott Murray

I don't know about you out there, but here in Canada we can get what they call an inverter to just plug in the car's lighter to get our 120V AC. I'll bet you you could find something equivalent out there you could use. The chargers don't need that much Amps. Here these things sell for about 60$ and go on sale for 39$ once a while.
Most campers come with one or you are able to plug the camper in to mains power when camping. So I think he should be ok. Unless he is doing more remote travelling then thats another issue.

Matt_Paint

Hi nz swift,

We're starting in North Island and then heading to South Island. Any suggestions for 'must see' places would be very welcome. We have no set route or plan, just a fly-in date and flight-out date over to Australia for a family wedding, so very open to ideas.

nzswift

Get off the Nth Island as quick as you can:) Lake Tekapo is simply stunning and my #1 spot on a sunny day. Go over the west coast of the South Island as the vegetation there is so different, towering tree ferns. Then travel south through the Haast Pass to Queenstown and if you have time Milford Sound. Lots of photo opportunities on that itinerary!!!!

Matt_Paint

Thanks nzswift - I'll make sure Lake Tekapo is on the list. I think we'll run out of time for Milford Sound, but the West coast sounds good. Thanks for the local inside knowledge.:)

nzswift

How about this then... off the ferry at Picton, take Queen Charlotte Drive and then highway 6 to Nelson, continue on highway 6 to Westport and south to Greymouth, then 73 through Arthur's Pass then follow 77 but turn onto Scenic Highway through to Geraldine. Take 79 to Fairlie, then 8 to Tekapo. Continue on 8 to Cromwell then back onto 6 to Queenstown