Well I am now a D600 owner!

SwampSniper

I took my D5200 back and swapped for the D600. This is the camera that
I actually wanted in the first place.

The body is supposed to be here today, the lens will follow in a few days.
Got to say I am happy with this decision. It will be quite a jump from my
FM2. I've got to hit the books, now, so I can learn this camera.

SS

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I took my D5200 back and swapped for the D600. This is the camera that
I actually wanted in the first place.

The body is supposed to be here today, the lens will follow in a few days.
Got to say I am happy with this decision. It will be quite a jump from my
F2. I've got to hit the books, now, so I can learn this camera.

SS

Congratulations. I hope you will love the D600 as much as I do. If you're kind of new to Digital (from the F2), make sure you get some books on post processing as it is as important as the camera's handling for a great final product.

SwampSniper

Thanks for the replies.

I had to edit my post, FM2 not F2. Didn't hit the m key hard enough.

I've been working on the post editing for a couple of weeks trying to get a basic understanding of
the process so I am not so lost when I get started. Bought Elements 11 along with a book explaining
how to use the program. The basic stuff doesn't look to be that difficult, but the creative stuff is
on another level and will take some work. One step at a time.

This will be an interesting journey for sure.

This site is a good one. Been reading for a while before signing up. Glad to be here.

Thanks again,

SS

BackdoorArts

I have to say that as much as I have loved my other Nikons, every time I use them now (I walked around FL for a week with the D7000 over one shoulder and the D600 on the other) I invariably look at the image and know it would have been at least a little better on the D600. Has me contemplating selling them off - but only contemplating.

Congrats on a great camera. Enjoy!!

redfeilds18

hello, I have a problem guys.. I recently purchased a D600 which so far has been great. I took a number of images using the RAW/NEF format and tried to open them in Photoshop CS5 but received a message that this format is not recognized by my Adobe Camera Raw software. Does anyone know a work around or when an upgrade is due for my RAW files?

bobonit

Photoshop CS6 even needs an update installed before Camera Raw will read the files. I don't know if they will update CS5 for it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
hello, I have a problem guys.. I recently purchased a D600 which so far has been great. I took a number of images using the RAW/NEF format and tried to open them in Photoshop CS5 but received a message that this format is not recognized by my Adobe Camera Raw software. Does anyone know a work around or when an upgrade is due for my RAW files?

You can download Adobe Raw converter to create DNG files that any photoshop will open. This was the workaround I took at first. You can also get Lightroom 4 current version that fully supports the D600.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Lightroom 4 both supports the D600 and will convert to DNG on import so you can use any existing Photoshop. I originally balked at converting, but eventually felt that it gave me more options down the road as it seems to be a somewhat standard format.

SwampSniper

Thanks Rick, I'm waiting on the lens. While I am waiting I am working my way through
the manual, as much as I can without the lens. It doesn't appear to be too difficult.
I am hoping that my experience with the FM2 carries over and helps making some
really good photos.

I found out tonight that the 2 lenses that I had for the FM2 (vivitar series 1 28-70 and vivitar series 1 70-200)
work on this camera, if these old eyes can handle the focusing. Nice discovery indeed.

SS

SwampSniper

Those are nice. Infact I was looking at Lightroom 4 this afternoon. I think I will
windup getting that, but I'm going to learn Elements 11 first. I found that there
are tutorials for Elements11 on that site as well. That should speed things up some
for sure.

Thanks for the tip

SS

jwstl

If I were to recommend one software program for someone new to digital imaging I would suggest Lightroom first then Photoshop. Lightroom is a powerful processing tool and the important first step in the digital workflow. Once you learn the processing then you can start with the editing and manipulation offered by Photoshop.

SwampSniper

Just my luck, coming in through the back door. I'll have to see if I
can appropriate some cash for another program right quick.

Thanks for the tip jwstl,

SS

jwstl

There are plenty of good Lightroom tutorials on the web but, in my opinion, the best are from George Jardine. Mr. Jardine was an Adobe employee who worked on the development of Lightroom. His tutorials aren't free but they aren't expensive either. And they are fantastic. There are 2 sets, each $25: Library and Development. More info at: http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=2, http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=724
You can get a free sample tutorial explaining b/w conversion in L4 here: http://mulita.com/blog/?p=1244
I am in no way affiliated with this and receive no monies from sales; I'm am just a satisfied customer.

jwstl

I wanted to add that I don't think the purchase of Photoshop Elements was a bad decision. Quite the contrary. It's probably a better purchase than the "full" version of Photoshop for photographers. I use the combination of Lightroom and Elements more than I use the full Photoshop. I consider Photoshop to be more of a graphic design, web design tool than a photographer's tool.