Women's tennis

STM

I have played tennis all of my life and even went to UNC on a tennis scholarship. That being said, I love to photograph tennis events. When I was living in Jacksonville, FL the tennis community at Amelia Island hosted a week long tournament each year sponsored by Bausch and Lomb. It was open to women only of all nationalities. They also hosted a Dupont sponsored week long tournament which was open to both men and women but only Americans. I shot the photo below of Gabriella Sabatini at the B&L when she beat Steffi Graf in the final. I used an F2S, MD-2 motor drive, 300mm f/4,5 AIS Nikkor and high speed Ektachrome film.

GabbyAmeliaIs.jpg

In 1995 I saved up all the couch change and went to London to watch Wimbledon. I spent a fortune but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I begged and pleaded to be able to get a seat in the press box under the guise that I was writing a book on women's tennis. No book, but some great photos. Steffi beat Arantxa Sanchez in the final, it was a wonderful match! Again the F2S and MD-2 but this time with a 300mm f/2,8 ED-IF AIS Nikkor, only one stop down with High Speed Ektachrome.

steffi_b_l1000.jpg

Here is another one I took at the B&L, Pam Shriver this time. She was doubles partner with Martina Navratilova. Not unsurprisingly they won the Doubles Championship! This one was shot same camer and film but this time with an 80-200mm f/4.5 non-AI Nikkor, a legendary zoom!

PamShriverBL.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Awesome!! Excellent photos!

I've been known to "bend" the truth now and then to get the shot. I mean, who knows, someday you might write a book and it may very well contain these photos....at least that's the way I rationalize it. ;)

STM

Nice...It was a pleasure to watch the woman back then... No squealing.....

Gabby used to grunt a little but nothing like they do today. I grunt too, but not loudly. We were always taught to make sure you exhale as you strike the ball. The easiest way to ensure you do that is to grunt a little. But like everything else, everything in moderation. I not so affectionately refer to Maria Sharipova as SHRIEK-a-pova because that is what she does. If you watch it on TV, you can always hit the mute button, which is what I do, but if you are there, you just have to grin and bear it.

Last edited:

Canadia-Nikon

Great shots.

I used to enjoy watching Monica Seles play, but I could not stand listening to her. She so often sounded like she was in labor as opposed to a tennis match. :rolleyes:

STM

Great shots.

I used to enjoy watching Monica Seles play, but I could not stand listening to her. She so often sounded like she was in labor as opposed to a tennis match. :rolleyes:

I liked her too, I saw her several times at Amelia Is, she was the only one who hit two handed off both wings. I was in absolute shock when that crazed Steffi Graf fan stabbed her in Hamburg. It kept her off the courts for 2 years and who could blame her? Never in my life had I ever seen anything like that. Here is a little bit of Monica Seles trivia. If you listen really carefully, when she hits the ball she is actually saying "NOT ME!". Nick Bolliteri taught her to say that, it was a mental thing that she was not going to make an error on that shot. Speaking from experience, tennis players are VERY superstitious and have rituals they do all the time. I ALWAYS bounce the ball exactly three times before I serve.

Last edited:

dea

kidding me? i also love tennis and in fact i was the captain of my university. i never thought i will found fellow tennis players. btw, maria SHRIEK-a-pova play like she's moaning. it's really annoying!