Hi from Washington

SuperSpike113

Hi!
My husband bought me a D3100 for Christmas and I'm having fun learning how to use it. I've been watching photography tutorials on YouTube and reading on www.digital-photography-school.com to teach myself the basics.

I can't wait for warmer weather to get out and play with my camera when things aren't so dreary anymore. My favorite subject is my 19 month old son- he has been a good lesson in shutter speed :)

I have the kit lens for my camera body plus a 50 mm f/1.8 AF-S G lens that I just got on Saturday that I'm learning on.

I guess my first question is- my friend is having a baby in May and wants me to take some newborn photos for her. What would be a good resource for teaching myself newborn photography when I don't have a newborn to practice on in the meantime? Is the kit zoom lens better for these sessions, or the 50 mm? Obviously I can use both, but what would you do?

RockyNH_RIP

Hi and Welcome to Nikonites!!

For learning... google "newborn photography tutorial" Lots of info and also images that are good learning tools to look at and see what poses etc others have done.

I just did a bunch of my 6 wk granddaughter and used both the 50 1.8 and the kit lens. I did a lot with bounce flash and used the kit lens... (found I could position myself better with the zoom) For all natural light, I tried to use the 50 1.8.

Pictuures with both came out well (depending on exposure & composition) If you are using natural light, I would really try to use the 50 1.8.

Pat in NH

SuperSpike113

Thanks RockyNH! I haven't purchased a speedlite yet, but I might have to do that. I've also seen hacks where you can diffuse the pop up flash with a clear film canister or even a piece of a coffee filter. I'm loving the 50 mm lens, so I think I'll actually doing most of my shooting with that except when I want to get up real close for those teeny toes and eyelash shots. I plan to do natural light as much as possible because I just don't like how my photos turn out with flash.

STM

Welcome (from another newbie). What part of Washington? I was stationed at FT Lewis for 8 years and loved it up there. I had 3 acres of mostly alder forest and even had a bald eagle nest on the back of my property! It is truly a photographer's paradise!

Summertime in Washington is beautiful, and if you're lucky it will come on a weekend!

SuperSpike113

STM- I am from Central Washington where we have little rainfall, few trees, and rattlesnakes! We have amazing summertime weather here and people from the Western side of the state come to play in our sunshine.

Nikonpup- I haven't played with my ISO much because, to be honest the way the tutorials I have watched play out, they make it sound like a bad thing to do so- like a last resort because it can cause noise. Will I notice it much?

nikonpup

raising iso is not a bad thing, you just got to learn your cameras limits. Take lots of pictures, change the settings, if you have been shooting in auto go to a - aperture change the iso and see the results as you increase iso.