How big is yours?

simonhodge

At the moment I only use speedlights as i love them. I have a couple of umbrellas i use and a 60cm x60cm softbox but I was wondering what it the largest light modifiers you guys are happy to use with speedlights?

WayneF

With umbrellas, size is not really about the speedlight. Size does affect the softness (light quality), and big can fill a larger area, but we don't measure the ceiling before we bounce from it. :D The larger umbrellas have longer shafts, so the speedlight can still fill them. Sometimes a bigger factor is what size can you work around in a small space?

But umbrella size really won't matter to the speedlight itself. Here are some metered measurements I made of it (towards bottom of page - Metered Power Comparisons): Which is softer, Reflected or Shoot-through Umbrellas?

Softboxes seem another story. The fresnel lens on the speedlight focuses its light to just be a spot on the front fabric, instead of filling the box as designed. Light still comes out, but studio lights are used as bare bulb in there, 180 degree spread.