Can't autofocus in live view, and some other issues

frederic

Good evening! My D3200, which I purchased a mere month ago, doesn't autofocus in live view anymore. I tried fiddling quite a bit earlier tonight, and eventually autofocus in the viewfinder stopped working as well, upon which I tried resetting the shooting menu settings, which didn't help for either. I then tried a different lens, and still nothing. Then I tried resetting the setup menu settings too, and now I'm back where I started, it focuses in the viewfinder, but not in live view.

I also can't find the setting for Continuous AF in live view mode, which I managed to turn on a few weeks ago for some video recording. (It took me a while to figure it out back then too, but now I'm stumped.)

Last edited:

frederic

I read the entire thing once when I got it, and I've re-read every page on autofocus several times tonight. I've tried all three lenses I have, both focus modes (AF-S, AF-F) it lists in live view mode, the four AF area modes, I've tried removing the battery for minutes, I've tried turning various unrelated settings on and off. When I got it, AF worked out of the box in live view, and I have reset the settings to no avail.

Last edited:

Cowboybillybob1

Have you read pages 80 to 84 in the Users Manual. Use the manual that comes on the CD. It is more comprehensive.
Have you chosen a compatible AF-Area Mode per page 82?

frederic

Yes, I downloaded the PDF of the manual, I've checked pages 35-41, 80-84, and so on. I'm stumped.

Edit: I just tried my other two lenses (50mm f1.8 g, 18-55mm) again, and now they autofocus just fine in live view. My third lens, the DX 35mm, does not.

Edit2: Another symptom is that when I shoot manually in live view with the lens, the shutter is very slow-sounding.

Last edited:

frederic

My AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX is the one that refuses to autofocus in LV.

Edit: Sorry.. bad copypaste. Very tired.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
My AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX is the one that refuses to autofocus in LV.

Edit: Sorry.. bad copypaste. Very tired.

The only thing that comes to mind would be to try and clean the contacts on that lens. If it doesn't work still, then maybe there is something wrong with the lens or the camera.

Good luck.

frederic

The only thing that comes to mind would be to try and clean the contacts on that lens. If it doesn't work still, then maybe there is something wrong with the lens or the camera.

Good luck.

Thank you. I tried that earlier tonight. I'll try it with a friend's Nikon body some day soon, and see if I can get my hands on another 35mm f/1.8G DX to try on mine before I buy it afresh. Hopefully I'll be able to sell this one at not too much of a loss, since it works perfectly fine without live view.