Looking for a smaller camera for great landscape photography

rocknride814

Hello,

I am stumped on this issue. I own a D7000 which takes unbelievable photos with quite a few options in terms of ISO, continuous shots, and adjustable aperture & shutter speeds.

The only flaw I can see is its own size. I plan on going to Europe and want to take some great landscape photos, but I need to pack light which means the D7000 and my lenses would take up as much space as my clothes.

Point and shoot cameras so far have not come close to the picture quality (especially in low-light conditions).

Are there any models out there that may be descent enough to compare to a DSLR? What about those Nikon 1's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

Alan

You might want to take a look at the P510 or P520. It is a single lens, 4.3 to 180 (24mm to 1000mm) and is lightweight. It has many of the DSLR controls you are used to, Programmed Auto, Aperture and Shutter priority, and Manual. It has both a vari-angle LCD screen and an electronic viewfinder. I have found it is good in low light and it has an auto pan stitch which is good for landscape. I use it because i don't need to take all the lenses etc along when I travel. Take a look at some of my photos as everything I post here is taken with my P510.

Digital Cameras | Point & Shoot Cameras | Compact Cameras from Nikon

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
D7000, 18-200 VRII, Sigma 10-20, 35 1.8, monopod. Don't end up wishing you had brought it with you. Don't leave your best friend home for such a trip.:)

AC016

There are quite a few high-end compact cameras out there to choose from. Personally, the Nikon 1 does not appeal to me, as there are far better cameras on the market. If you want to stick with a DSLR, try the 3200. When i saw it in the store, i was amazed at how small it was. If you have a hefty budget, you may want to look at Olympus or Sony. Sony has the RX1, the smallest full frame camera out there. You can also look at Fuji, they have the X Pro 1 and the X100. If you really want to spend money, there is Leica..... anyway :)

TedG954

D7000, 18-200 VRII, Sigma 10-20, 35 1.8, monopod. Don't end up wishing you had brought it with you. Don't leave your best friend home for such a trip.:)

This! When I went to Italy, I took a small Olympus P/S. I took about a thousand photos. They're ok, but if I could do it all over again, I would have taken a full-size camera regardless of the weight. That was a trip of a lifetime that I'll never get to do again. I wish I had taken a better camera. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Fred Kingston

You might want to take a look at the P510 or P520. It is a single lens, 4.3 to 180 (24mm to 1000mm) and is lightweight. It has many of the DSLR controls you are used to, Programmed Auto, Aperture and Shutter priority, and Manual. It has both a vari-angle LCD screen and an electronic viewfinder. I have found it is good in low light and it has an auto pan stitch which is good for landscape. I use it because i don't need to take all the lenses etc along when I travel. Take a look at some of my photos as everything I post here is taken with my P510.

Digital Cameras | Point & Shoot Cameras | Compact Cameras from Nikon

Amazon.com: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX7K 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.5x Intelligent zoom and 3.0-inch LCD - Black: Camera & Photo

This camera is tough to beat at its price... and beats many DSLRs at multiples of its price...

stmv

I have the Nikon coolpix P7000 as my pocket camera,, takes very nice images, one of the nicer point and shoots. Personally, I prefer Canons for point and shoots, the higher end Canons take awesome photos,

but.. Europe.. naw... these don't match the SLRs.

so,, 5100 (at 490 dollars) same sensor as your 7000, a 18x55 junky but sharp lens will cover the duty.

but, I guess when I want to be compact,, I just use the D7000 with

Nikkor 20 mm (wide angle)
Nikkor 50mm (medium and ultra sharp).
and well, then you are into weight.

I would pack a quality zoom like a 80-200 for Europe (but use it only when weight was not an issue).

I guess you could bring the D7000 with the small primes for the primary camera, and buy
a Canon with a long zoom for those distant shots. That would would work for me..

well no,, I just suffer and carry the weight,, that is why I work out! to be able to carry the gear.
I carry the MF Tripod (a tank), D800, pro zoom, etc, and walk around for 8 hours... feels so good when you put the gear down,, but,,, the pictures outweigh the trouble.

I'll carry a backpack for the lens,, and use the small primes when I can to lesson the weight when I can.

But jeesh... Europe... deserves the best you can use. Life is short,

Here is a shot with my D300 (before the D700 had come out which I totally had to have!)

venice shot.jpg

Last edited:

eli

Went to Italy, taking a canon point and shoot. Very good pictures taken, framed, and then i went out and purchased a D7000, multiple
lenses, and vowed to bring the DSLR on my next trip to Europe. However, now that i am planning a trip to Paris, I am considering upgrading to a D600 or, hold onto your hat, a canon full frame. It just makes sense to me to bring the best camera i own when i visit places i have dreamed about, or when i visit churches and museums, see landscapes and scenery i might never return to or see again. For me, but maybe not for you, this is worth a bit of inconvenient weight. I pack the camera and lenses in a backpack or camera carryon bag, keeping the equipment with me on the plane. THen, each day i select what i will use, which lenses, and lighten the load. each person needs to know their tolerance for weight. An artist friend of mine now carries his Samsung camera on long trips abroad and leaves his D3 home just because of the weight. Only you can decide your personal preferences. Good luck.

whatever you take junk the bright yellow strap and cover the Nikon logo with Tape ....they are good at theft ..lots of east europeans out of work ...working in gangs

Somersetscott

I had a Nikon J1, good camera just a bit pricy and obviously not as good as the d7000 by a long shot.

I agree with most - if you don't take the d7000 you'll be upset.

Have fun! Travel safe

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2