Warranty Advice on my D800

Dantv

So i bought my D800 when it was first announced. Like many others i was on a waiting list with B&H for months, waiting for stock.
I couldn't wait any longer so i bought from a guy on Craigslist who bought two (One for himself and one to sell for profit). I obviously paid a little more than the retail price as the camera was in demand. The camera was a brand new US version in the box with all the paper work.

Over the last few weeks ive noticed al of of crap on the inside of my viewfinder (Not the sensor...but in the viewfinder itself) I didnt think that this would be possible as the camera is meant to be completely weather sealed.

So i called Nikon yesterday to arrange a service. They said the camera would be covered under warrantee (as its not even a year old) They said, but because i dont have a receipt i would have to pay as the warrantee doesnt mean anything without a receipt.

Has anyone else run into this issue, and can you advise?

I buy alot of my gear used, i.e. 24-70mm 2.8 70-200mm 2.8 All with the box and warrantees but no receipts.

stmv

this is one of my fustration on modern world, I am awful with sending in warranty cards, like not! I am afraid you are out of luck on this,, and will have to pay for the repair.. That is why I used a local repair shop, since the cost is less often.

§am

Companies usually require an invoice purely to see the purchase data and check that the unit is under their one year warranty (as it starts from the date of purchase).
Without it, you could have a 14month old camera and try and get away with saying its 11 months old (as an example).

Could you possibly contact the original seller to see if he/she can send you a copy of the invoice?

Dantv

Yeah thanks, I did think about that but i cant find his details in my inbox annoyingly. I did actually buy this camera in April with my tax return money... but i totally get your point. FRUSTRATED!!

Dave_W

The Dude
Unfortunately you need the receipt to get the camera fully serviced but if your problem is just a cleaning, most authorized service providers offer sensor cleaning for $50 to $75. And if you do go this way make sure they let you watch and then next time you need a cleaning you can do it yourself.

stmv

well, also,, don't forget their silly 7 day requirement,, which I think is ridulous,, if one has a copy of the invoice, that is all they should need. I have my invoices, and still can't register because, I get busy, and then forget and by the time I remember, oops, 7 days gone. I personally, think the warranty should be register upon point of sale by the merchant, since hell, 99% they have our credit card data,,

Some camera stores used to do this,, Like Ritz,, and some private shops, but you had to ask, because lots have stopped doing this.

Luckily,, knock on wood, I personally never had a warranty issue with Nikon. Every repair has been my abuse of gear (like dropping).

§am

Isn't the seven day warranty just to get their extended warranties or something?
Plus if you live in the EU, warranty has to be minimum of two years anyway :)

Dantv

Thanks, but like i said, it isnt the sensor its the viewfinder. I have cleaned my own sensor many times. I just cant get into the viewfinder prism to blow out the dust. Just gonna have to lump it and pay up

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Is it possible that the static has gotten these dust bunnies stuck to the underside of the ground glass? Have you tried with a soft brush to clean under the ground glass?

Just a thought.

Dantv

Yes Possibly, but i dont know how to get access to the inner part of the ground glass. Even with the mirror in Lock up mode, nothing seems to be accessible

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes Possibly, but i dont know how to get access to the inner part of the ground glass. Even with the mirror in Lock up mode, nothing seems to be accessible

I don't think it's inside the viewfinder. Just remove the lens without raising the mirror and lightly brush under the ground glass above the mirror.

In any case, let us know.

Dantv

Yeah I've actually tried that. I can actually see it on the glass, but it's defiantly on the other side where I can't get to. Very frustrating that I can't get to it.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah I've actually tried that. I can actually see it on the glass, but it's defiantly on the other side where I can't get to. Very frustrating that I can't get to it.

There is a tool to remove the ground glass from the cavity. It's just something to disengage the spring that holds it there. I've never done it, but I suspect any camera repair shop could have a look and see what they could do.

stmv

in NY,, you MUST have a PRO shop,, this sounds like a drop off job from a professional camera repair shop. For something like that, I know I would use my local repair shop, I use them for deep cleans occasionally.. They might say that only a Nikkor facility can do the work, but maybe, you can just have the local shop do the work.

I like the idea of hand dropping off my camera, and then 2 days later, picking it up again, all nice and clean. good luck.

Dantv

All the local camera stores in New York wouldnt touch it so i had to bite the bullet and have sent it to Nikon. Lets see what they say, and how much they charge me.

Thanks for everyones advice

Dantv

Just thought id let you guys know that i received my D800 back from Nikon.....AT NO CHARGE!!!
Nikon did the right thing and cleaned up my baby under the Warranty. They also cleaned the sensor and corrected the focus issue i didnt know it had.
Happy Boy!

BackdoorArts

Glad it worked out for you. Know they had no reason other than good will and keeping customers happy to do that for you. Companies have an obligation to support their dealer network in the same way they expect those dealers to protect them. You want warranty service? Buy from a dealer, even if you have to wait or pay more. Anything else is just a roll of the dice - you win some, you lose some. Like the old Aamco commercial, you can pay me now or pay me later.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Dan - as a policy with Nikon, warranty are non-transferable. The warranty card and the store receipt are "required" in order to prove that you are the original owner of the product. I've sent my cameras, lenses and flash to Nikon service center and they've done a pretty good job in repairing them. Cameras are normally cleaned prior to returning them back to the customers.

I sent my D700 one time after 3 years of use to get my hot shoe repaired. Nikon replaced the hot shoe and even replaced the entire camera rubber grip even though it wasn't part of my request. So, my camera was returned back to me in like new condition. For a typical wet sensor cleaning, I do that myself to save on money.

**Edit**

Congrats. I should have read all of the post. I'm glad that things worked out well for you.

Last edited: