Extension tube macro ring for a G lens.

learnit

I recently became the owner of a D3100 with an AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G and an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED lens.

I want to take distance photos of wildlife and macro photos of orchids. I researched the cheapest way to get some macro shots as I am on a pension and came up with basic extension tubes ($12 from Cowboystudio). Now I have a problem. All the shots came out black. I am using manual mode and tried all ISO settings and shutter speeds. The aperture setting was showing blank.

On further research, I found that these extension tubes do not work with G lenses. More research suggested that there is a way around this by setting the aperture before applying the tubes. The sites suggesting this were using Canon.

Is there a way that I can set the aperture to get this thing to work. Alternatively, would a reverse ring do a similar job.

I'm on a very limited pension budget so looking for the least expensive option to starting this hobby.

Many thanks in advance.

patrick in memphis

hi , i also have the d3100 .i use cheap filter style macro lenses from ebay 20$ for four. they might get you started and see how much you use them. the long distance the 55-200 should be ok or try to get a teleconverter/doubler prob a 1.6x model .the model is dictated by the lens you use it on,i.e narrower field of view = a lower amount of light .if you look back through my posts i asked a similar question a doubler would run you about 100$...i have that also. i would recommend just using 55-200 and cropping. my first moon pic was shot with my 55-300 and cropped take a look if it will give you any help on deciding what to do. as far as the black pics does camera work ok without ext tubes? reason i ask is i use a t ring adapter in place of my lens and have no probs... hope i helped ,have fun
dsc_0474.jpg

learnit

Hi Patrick, thanks for replying. In hindsite I should have perhaps got the macro filters instead of the extension tubes. From everything I read, the extensions seemed the better, inexpensive, option. What i was reading, didn't tell me that they would not work on my "G" lenses. I suppose it is because the electrical connection for exposure or whatever is lost.
Using the rings, everything is black. I read somewhere that you can set the aperture, then swap lenses but when I tried that it didn't work.

Perhaps someone has an idea of how to do it.

thanks.