$275 for a D200? Good deal?

eurotrash

I have an opportunity to grab a D200 for $275 or $250. Shutter count yet unknown.. I already have a D7000, but am looking for a decent backup. I have some pro glass to throw on it but I'm wondering if in today's market I should just invest in a more modern camera. Help appreciated :)

Sambr

I have a D200 the reason I haven't sold it is because I would get that amount $200-275.00 I had bought it brand new only has 5500 actuation's, it like brand new. The D200 is built like a tank sealed really well and it's pro quality build awesome IQ & colors great skin tones. Ever lens Nikon made will work on it. Now for the bad parts - crappy LCD & auto white balance short battery life(due to the ccd sensor) anything over ISO 800 is going to be noisy will need to adjust in post. But heck for that price you can't go wrong.

Rick M

Lol, save your $250 towards that Fx conversion decision still eating at you. You can't put it off forever, it's too powerful. :)

eurotrash

Lol, save your $250 towards that Fx conversion decision still eating at you. You can't put it off forever, it's too powerful. :)

I KNOW! But the issue is, that I figured I'm content with the D7000 for the time being. I really am. Especially with a 24-70 on the way in the near future, I just don't see a justification for the D600 right now. I feel like I'm essentially paying a premium for an FX sensor and that's about it. Perhaps some gps or wifi capability that I'll never or hardly ever use.
Really, I'd like to have two bodies, a reliable backup camera so I don't have to rent one for this wedding I'm going to shoot in a few months, but also to just be able to have two bodies. But I don't know much about the D200 honestly. I've also thought about picking up a used d7k after the new one comes out and have two of them, but it does seem redundant, no?

Last edited:

fotojack

If there's less than 20,000 on the shutter count, I'd say grab it! That's a great price for a D200. It's still one of the great cameras out there....then again, I'm kinda biased towards it. :)

eurotrash

OK I'm still waiting on a reply from the seller on the condition of the battery and shutter

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Really, I'd like to have two bodies, a reliable backup camera so I don't have to rent one for this wedding I'm going to shoot in a few months, but also to just be able to have two bodies. But I don't know much about the D200 honestly. I've also thought about picking up a used d7k after the new one comes out and have two of them, but it does seem redundant, no?

I do think it would be easier to have two similar bodies. This way if you have to use the backup, you really know how to work it well. Buttons and menus are not the same on the D200 and D7000.

eurotrash

I don't know...You are right, it IS quite a lot of actuations. For the money, I feel better served having 2 bodies that I know well inside and out. At this point the D7K is like a little brother to me, possibly even a lover. I've become very aquainted, perhaps even attached to it in the time I've had it. You make a brilliant point about that, Marcel. I wonder what kind of prices we will see on used D7K's in the coming months when the rumored new D7200/7100 comes out? What do you think?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't know...You are right, it IS quite a lot of actuations. For the money, I feel better served having 2 bodies that I know well inside and out. At this point the D7K is like a little brother to me, possibly even a lover. I've become very aquainted, perhaps even attached to it in the time I've had it. You make a brilliant point about that, Marcel. I wonder what kind of prices we will see on used D7K's in the coming months when the rumored new D7200/7100 comes out? What do you think?

Prices should come down a little but it will all depend on the availability of the newer model and when it does become available.

How soon do you need your backup camera? I think I'd save a little longer and see what happens and then, maybe you have enough money to get a new D7000.

eurotrash

I basically told him that the price wasn't in line with the act action count and that if he lowered his price I'd be interested in talking. Probably won't ever hear from him again :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

eurotrash

Well, he emailed me back and said I was welcome to offer a reasonable amount. I'm not going to bother. I'll grab a d600 or d800 when the time is right. Thanks for the opinions guys

SamSpade1941

It really depends on how many actuations the camera has and how many accessories you are getting with the camera. I recently bought two D200 cameras. One of them I paid $400 for but it was IR converted so you cannot really use the values of standard cameras as a metric there considering what the conversions cost. I actually got a good deal on my camera because they can run closer to $550 to $600 if you do not have a donor camera for the conversion already. My other camera had 12,000 actuations on it when I got it and was in Ex ++ condition when I got it and it came with a ton of accessories. I paid $240 for it. I will be perfectly honest and say if it were not for the fact I was wanting an IR camera I would have taken all that money and bought a D300s it is a better performer but for the type of photography I do and the ISO speeds I shoot at typically the D200 works fine for me, I am not a pro and I will get a several years use out of this at least till the D700 comes down to a price I can afford. I love my D200 cameras they are a serious step up in gear from my D40 in every way possible. So if you can get the camera cheaply go for it , but be wary of the shutter count and condition.

Last edited: