How many of you still use Ansel Adams' Zone System?

STM

I still use it all the time with film, both in 35mm and 2¼ but find myself using it even with my D700 for general exposure as well. My Pentax Spotmeter V is still going strong after 30 years, though I do get some curious looks from some folks when I use it. I have actually been asked what kind of camera it is! :eek:

So out of curiosity, how many of you still use it, to it's full potential (exposure, processing and printing)?

Browncoat

For all intents and purposes, using the histogram is just as effective and often faster under most conditions.

Yes, the Zone System is more comprehensive and accurate (when applied correctly) and allows for proper exposure before you take a photograph. However, most people don't carry external meters around anymore. The best I can come up with here is that the Zone System is more about pre-visualizing what you want. The only time I ever really use it is when setting up for HDR.

STM

For all intents and purposes, using the histogram is just as effective and often faster under most conditions.

Yes, the Zone System is more comprehensive and accurate (when applied correctly) and allows for proper exposure before you take a photograph. However, most people don't carry external meters around anymore. The best I can come up with here is that the Zone System is more about pre-visualizing what you want. The only time I ever really use it is when setting up for HDR.

The histogram is all well and good for digital, but the very nature of digital photography does not lend itself well to the Zone System although I still use it to get the best exposure most times since I am not all that trusting of a camera's meter. The Zone System is designed for film, and more specifically, black and white film. Believe it or not I only got a digital camera about 2 years ago, I have been shooting film since 1972. Digital is fine when you have clients who want their stuff yesterday, but when it comes to my personal stuff, I would guess about 75% of my stuff is still shot on film and about 2/3 of that with my Hasselblad. I go to 35mm primarily when I have a lens I need in 35mm but not in 2¼.

Browncoat

Guess I should've paid attention to which section of the forums I was in.

Daniel__s_Facepalm_by_xAikaNoKurayami.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
I know a bit about it but I have never studied it or used it. I'm still a novice really when it comes to using my Gossen and it is not a spot meter however an attachment is made for this. As far as printing with the Zone system I didn't even realize they do that. I don't think anyone on this board prints film stuff anymore but I guess I could be wrong.

STM

I know a bit about it but I have never studied it or used it. I'm still a novice really when it comes to using my Gossen and it is not a spot meter however an attachment is made for this. As far as printing with the Zone system I didn't even realize they do that. I don't think anyone on this board prints film stuff anymore but I guess I could be wrong.

Surely I can't be the only one on this site who still processes and prints film! The Zone system is really broken down into 3 steps. The first is "Pre-visualization". You look at the scene, measure the different zones and then decide how you really want it to look. You expose for the low values and develop for the highs. The second step is the actual processing of the film according to your Pre-visualization. You can push or pull the film, depending on the type, about 2 stops. The last the actual printing where you manipulate exposure of the paper either dodging or burning of the individual areas to ensure the final print is representative of your pre-visualization. It is something that takes many years to master. Ansel Adams wrote three books on the Zone System he developed. They are entitled The Camera, The Negative and The Print. Super books, very technical, but with beautiful examples of what he is doing. I don't know if they are even still in print, I have had mine for over 30 years.

Eye-level

Banned
I am one of the only ones that still shoots any significant amount of film I think and for the most part I am very amateurish about it. It is processed at the drug store with poor scans and put on CD sometimes I'll get prints made sometimes I'll select certain snaps and have big prints made.

Akiviri

I still use it. In fact one of the reasons I chose my D90 is because it has spot metering. Another is the L-O-W price for this fantastic camera, yet another is ... NM - Lets just say I LOVE this camera :p . Anyway - I find the zone system not only relevant to digital, and not just because the very excellent matrix metering system Nikon uses is based upon the zone system, but because the concept of detailed blacks and/or not blown out lights applies to ANY photograph taken by ANY camera, digital or film. One can pooh pooh the system, but lets not forget it's purpose is a pleasing image - and that should appeal to anyone interested in IQ. After all - a smart camera is still just a tool - the camera and computer between your ears is the one that matters, and if you don't know what your camera doesn't - however do you hope to master it rather than be it's slave? Did I say I love this D90? Still further off topic (sorry) I have no idea why people bother with Canon after using this - Nikon is in a whole 'nother world.

Also - Nik software's Silver Efex Pro 2 has a small section devoted to the Zone system. Simply mouseover one of the gradients and it is highlighted in the image to better help you determine where you want to be overall.

**Edit - yes, The Camera, The Print, and The Negative are still in print - you can find them on Amazon :)

Last edited: