D800's auto-focus is awesome!

Dave_W

The Dude
Sometimes I just marvel at the D800's auto-focus abilities. It's unlike any camera I've ever owned.

_D8A0774-2.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
That's very nice. Just curious, what focusing mode did you use here? AF-C with auto or how many points?

When I'm using AF-C I typically leave it at 51. Truth be told, I'm not really sure what the difference between the settings really means. It's not like the grid changes in the viewfinder when you choose less AF-points. For this shot above, I felt like a skeet shooter. I was looking elsewhere when out of the corner of my eye I see the gull coming my way so I quickly pulled the camera up and shot. And the fact that the AF caught it right off the bat and locked on was what amazed me. This camera is hands down the best camera I've ever used.

Dave_W

The Dude
Thanks for the details on this! Which lens was that? If it was that fast to focus, I'd assume 24-70?

Believe it or not but I had on my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VRII lens. In my opinion this lens at ~$500 is a bargain and is the only thing keeping me from buying a 70-200 f/2.8 and a TC.

JDFlood

I can vouch for the 70mm - 300mm as a screaming deal... And it is really light. For the price it can be a satisfying impulse purchase. JD