What is your favorite wide angle?

Kris Denkers

I have a Quantaray 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 (added this to my profile but it is only showing 3). Anyway, I know its not the best brand out there, but I have a story behind this lens. I was serving in the USAF in Mississippi after Katrina, needed a wide angle, but there were no stores until you got to Florida. I found a Ritz and that is all they had left, so I guess you can not be to picky when that is all available. This lens has seen things let me tell you.

But now I am looking to update.

Right now I am looking at these options
Nikkor Zoom, Wide Angle 35-70mm F3.3-4.5 AF
Nikkor Wide Angle Normal 24-50mm F/3.3-4.5 Autofocus
Nikkor Wide Angle Telephoto 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 D-AF
Nikkor Wide Angle-Tele 35-105mm F/3.5-4.5 D Autofocus
Nikkor Wide Angle Telephoto 28-85mm F/3.5-4.5 AF

What is your opinion?
Do you have a favorite wide angle?

grandpaw

The wide angle lens that I like the best that I own is the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM. I am very impressed with this lens and it is probably the most used lens of the six I have.

Rick M

On a Dx sensor, those options are not going to be very wide. You might want to consider the Nikon 10-24, Tokina 11-16, or sigma 10-20.

BackdoorArts

As Rick stated the options for the DX are limited. I love my Sigma 8-16mm. A little wider than the ones mentioned which can make for some really interesting perspectives. At 16mm it's like a 24mm on the DX sensor, so it's pure wide angle. If I was still shooting DX I might look at the Nikon or Tokina, only because they accept filters (mine does not) and they give you a little more reach, which makes it a nice walking around lens.

fotojack

My choice would be the Tokina 11-16. Proven track record as a wide angle for cropped sensors, and the price is not outlandish, compared to a Nikon lens.

Mestre

On DX i enjoyed the Sigma 10-20 but in FX, as i shoot landscape with filter, the 16-35 is performing really well, even indoors or at 35mm for street photography.

Kris Denkers

I found a really good deal on the 24-50mm Nikkor F3.3-4.5 AF lens... what are your thoughts?

Been going through all these lenses and doing some more research all afternoon. Thank you all for your time in answering my question :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I found a really good deal on the 24-50mm Nikkor F3.3-4.5 AF lens... what are your thoughts?

Been going through all these lenses and doing some more research all afternoon. Thank you all for your time in answering my question :)

If you want a wide-angle lens on DX sensor, 24 might not be wide enough. It depends on your needs and wallet. At first, I bought bargain lenses too, but eventually, I got the lenses that were the best in the category I needed.

For DX, the Tokina 8-16 2.8 is a winner for a wide, the Nikkor 15-55 2.8 for mid-range, and the 70-200 2.8 as a tele.

There are alternatives, but try to get lenses with fixed apertures as they tend to keep their value more.

Kris Denkers

Right now, I am shooting a lot of urbex work and location work. Hense the push to update my wide angle. I do have a wedding coming up in July that I know I will need one as well.

My wallet is kinda light at the moment, but I can work with a few hundred bucks, I plan on getting a nice lens for the wedding (already saving for that one), I suffer from 2 kids in college syndrome HA!

Thank you for the tips on the lenses.. It means a lot to me to get a feel for where the pro's are at gear wise.

stmv

nice,, you have a D300,, so it opens up a whole slew of lens,,,

20 mm 3.5 manual (sharp, and wide,, old school, but will work great.

Nikkor 28-70 (these sell for around 80 dollars, and sharp..

both of these are cheap,, since you say you are on a budget.

Also,, pick up the brand new 50 mm 1.8D while you still can (again cheap,, and sharp,, but, this is not in the category of wide).

then when you have larger budgets, then your choices open up.

BackdoorArts

A 24mm (equivalent of a 36mm on a full frame) is not going to be wide enough for a lot of urbex stuff on a DX sensor in my experience. You need to go out to at least 18mm.

STM

When I need a wide angle I usually reach for my 28mm f/2.8 AIS. It is razor sharp and essentially flare and ghost free. Probably my next favorite one is my 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye AIS Nikkor. Not as useful as the 28mm but it always adds a unique perspective to things!

Bukitimah

I heard the Tokina 11-16 is a great lens on a DX camera. Unless you need that wide angle most times, 16 mm is a bit short for general photography in my opinion.

I would prefer the 24-75 range but sometimes you will be limited when shooting indoor. I am currently using the Tamron 17-50 and find this meets most situation. When I take landscape, I take a few shots and stich them

Kris Denkers

I have not been on here in a bit, so my apologies to those who have posted and I have not been able to reply too. I want to thank all of you for replying and giving me your honest opinion about what you use and what they are capable of doing.

I did purchase a Tokina 12-24mm yesterday, and am waiting for it to arrive.. rather impatiently I might add :)

I do want to purchase the 28mm at some point, but that was to far out of my budget at this point. But it is on my to buy list.

Thank you all again!