D600 sensor spots

Samzy

I've had my D600 for 2 months. 3 weeks ago I sent it to Nikon service for sensor spots cleaning. I just got it back,, after testing it, I still notice a couple of spots that are still showing up in the upper left section of my photos.
Send it back to Nikon again?
Any advise?

Hyogen

I used a lens pen brush to wipe off my sensor. That took care of most of my spots. I'll do a wet clean in a little while, but I want the dust spots to accumulate a lot first :D

It doesn't really bother me.. They only show up at small apertures and for now at least I can remove the spots in lightroom if needed.

Samzy

Thanks for the advise. I only have one spot showing now at f22. Nikon offered to clean it again, I'm not sure I want to part with the camera another 3-4 weeks!

Rick M

On a side note, I don't trust others, including nikon, to handle my gear as well as I will. I have turned down free cleanings from my dealer, I guess I'm just too anal about this kind of stuff :)

BackdoorArts

I used a lens pen brush to wipe off my sensor. That took care of most of my spots. I'll do a wet clean in a little while, but I want the dust spots to accumulate a lot first :D

It doesn't really bother me.. They only show up at small apertures and for now at least I can remove the spots in lightroom if needed.

If you're comfortable with your camera, and gentle with the lens pen, then go ahead and do this. But if you're talking about the non-brush end, I personally would not be comfortable using the other end - the potential for too much pressure against the sensor, IMO.

Samzy

Ok guys, I do consider myself technically inclined and the hands-on type (since I build my own computers). So, I guess I'll google some instructions on Nikon sensor cleaning, look for the least intrusive and see if I dare!

BackdoorArts

That would be my recommendation. Most will recommend blow first using a bulb of some type, and then wet cleaning if required. Rick's method will work as a substitute for the sensor swabs which are nice - and nice and expensive (about $3-4 a pop).

CajunJosh

Nothing like doing it yourself to take the fear away. And now you can take great care of that superb camera!

Funny thing is I use it for work as well so I was cleaning it in the patrol room. My sergeant, who shoots an old XSi, came over to watch. He was timid before but after seeing it done he also felt comfortable tackling the task.