What are your bird settings?

PapaST

I was wondering what other D600 users were using for bird shots. I'd like to get feedback from other bird photographers to see if my settings could improve my end results. For birds I'm using a Sigma 150-500 5-6.3 OS lens. I have a user setting stored to:

F8
AF-C
WB-Auto
Center weighted light metering
Auto-ISO min of 200 and max of 3200
Shutter 800
My focal point jumps between 3D and single focal point (depending on subject)

I might raise my max ISO to try to keep a quick shutter. Just curious how others are capturing birds or any other fast moving animals/subjects.

Thanks!

BackdoorArts

I've got the same rig and am almost the same as you. Here's where I differ.

Birds at rest:
Aperture Priority at f8 or f9 (ISO set to allow a minimum shutter speed of 1/400)
AF-S, single point

Birds in flight:
Shutter Priority at 1/800 or higher (ISO set to allow a minimum aperture of f8)
AF-C, 3D or single point

It's funny that this came up today because this morning was my first time out with this rig - all my previous birding was with the D7000. I'm amazed at the difference in quality. I liked the lens with the D7000 but am a bigger fan of it with the D600. Haven't done the user setting yet, but it's not a bad idea.

And that doesn't mean I don't get crossed up when I'm also shooting other stuff at the same time. Here's an Osprey shot as I specified above...

8459007860_da366eec78_o.jpg

...and a Sandhill Crane that I shot in flight while in Aperture Priority at minimum aperture (I'd just thrown the lens on after shooting some stuff with a 28mm at f1.8)...

8459007820_e20b8acdcc_o.jpg

It's a little soft at minimum aperture, but not bad.

By comparison, here's one from this morning with my D7000 (it had the lens while I was shooting landscapes with the D600). It's also at minimum aperture as it was still a little dark for this. Not bad, but not as nice as the D600. It's got a bit of a back focus issue which I have since adjusted for (it's the one lens I didn't get to profile).

8457986045_3b396496d5_o.jpg

Last edited: