Lens

marcelt

Hi guys, would a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70 mm 1:2.8 G ED lens do well on a Nikon D300s ? Is this lens meant for an FX body or can it be used on a DX body like the Nikon D300s ? What would be the pros and cons on this? Thanks

Dave_W

The Dude
It would do wonderfully on a D300x, as for cons, the only ones I can think of are weight and price. It's my "go to" lens and is arguably the best lens Nikkor makes.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It would do great but does not cover the wide side of a cropped sensor (DX). Nikon has the 17-55 2.8 that covers the same range as the 24-70 for FX. It's as good as the 24-70 but lighter and cheaper. If you're not seriously thinking of going to full frame one day, this would be a great lens to have on a D300s.

Stangman98

I would agree with Marcel. If you plan on going to FX in the future get the 24-70. If you only plan on going with a DX I would say the 17-55 which on a DX is 23.5-82.5 so the 17-55 is about equal to the 24-70

Stangman98

Ok I have to update my response on this. I used a 17-55 2.8 Nikon lens on my D300 last month and HATED it. At 17 it would vingette terribly on the upper right and lower left. I would get the Tokina 11-16 before ever getting the 17-55. But with that said my next lens will be the 24-70

jwstl

Yes, it is heavy. That's the reason I've not purchased one yet. I was thinking of selling my 20, 24, 28 2.8 primes, and a couple of zooms and using that money toward the 24-70 but the weight is an issue.

Last edited:

marcelt

Really ,when you hold the camera properly the lens weight is not to bad unless you have to run all over the place. This is a sweet lens. Not sure what lens i should get next?