SB-400...useless?

SeaPea

I was just wondering if you folks could give me some examples of when to use the SB-400 flash that came in my camera bundle. I am told it is useful to have a flash you can point at the ceiling, but then I was told by a local photographer that my flash is a waste of money (not really in my case, because with the bundle, it didn't cost me anything at all). I really don't like the flash on my camera, because I find it makes all indoor photos look like they were taken with a point and shoot (probably due to my inexperience). TIA!

Rick M

The SB 400 is great for when you want a bit more power/flexibility than the on-board flash. You can point it up to bounce off the ceiling and is great for fill flash outside. It is not a powerhouse like the much larger ones. I like the fact that it fits in my pocket, it is not a waste of money. If you just need a bit more flash, it's perfect. If you are shooting a big event, you need something more powerful. It all depends on your needs.

Browncoat

The SB-400 doesn't offer much in the way of power, it's not a whole lot stronger than the on board flash. It does offer additional versatility.

If you shoot with flash indoors, in your face overkill flash is the main reason built-in flash units suck. You'll be surprised at how much better and softer your flash turns out when bounced off the ceiling. The drawback of the SB-400 is that it doesn't swivel, so if you turn your camera for portrait shots, the flash will be pointing out into space somewhere.

It's fast, light, cheap...and better than the default option. The SB-400 isn't really strong enough for off-camera flash options, but it works with other flash units should you decide to set up a multi-flash system someday.

WayneF

The SB-400 doesn't offer much in the way of power, it's not a whole lot stronger than the on board flash. It does offer additional versatility.

If you shoot with flash indoors, in your face overkill flash is the main reason built-in flash units suck. You'll be surprised at how much better and softer your flash turns out when bounced off the ceiling. The drawback of the SB-400 is that it doesn't swivel, so if you turn your camera for portrait shots, the flash will be pointing out into space somewhere.

It's fast, light, cheap...and better than the default option. The SB-400 isn't really strong enough for off-camera flash options, but it works with other flash units should you decide to set up a multi-flash system someday.

The SB-400 won't even work off camera, it requires connection to the camera menu to be a flash. And it wont swivel, and it is low powered for bounce, you will often need higher ISO, maybe ISO 800 for bounce. It is perhaps half way in power level between the internal flash and a bigger speedlight (at wide zoom). But it is 1.4 stops stronger than the internal flash, and it can tilt up to bounce. Lots better than nothing.

Last edited:

TedG954

I like my SB400 and I'm glad I have it. Like Rick said, it fits in your pocket.

99.7% of my photography is outdoors. If I shot more indoors, I might not be so satisfied.

For the cost (your's was "free") it is effective for when I need it. It has actually served as a fill-flash outdoors.

I guess it all depends on your needs and intentions.

Last edited:

Rick M

I'll probably end up with an SB 700-900 down the road. The reality is you cannot compare full size, full feature equipment to small, handy, pocket sized stuff. It was not designed to shoot weddings, there is a reason it's only about $120.00. It's like comparing an Fx DSLR to a micro P&S. Otherwise we might as well say if you don't have a D4 with an SB 900 everything else sucks.

Last edited:

§am

It's certainly a very useful little flash to have and like others have said, not as powerful and feature packed as it's older siblings, but certainly has a place in the lineup.
Useful for indoor ceiling bounces and outdoor fill flash - definitely more powerful than the onboard flash.
But like people have said, does have its limitations.

I used mine for about a 8-9 months and then needed to get something else, so recently got the SB-700, however the SB-400 is staying as I find it very useful for when you want to be a little more discrete and won't need the full features of the SB-700.

DaveW

Ok I bought the SB 400 because of reasons I can't remember, and then put it on the D3100, set the camera dial to green (easy mode) and gave it to my wife to use at party small group shots, couples and portraits.

Meanwhile, I used a D7000 with SB 700 for pretty much the same thing, and she had as good or even better results than I.

Some of my stuff was under exposed (using TTL BL) while hers was spot on.

Do I like the SB 400? Absolutely. It is perfect for the things I mentioned above, simple, and uncomplicated.

WayneF

Some of my stuff was under exposed (using TTL BL) while hers was spot on.

Both the SB-400 and SB-700 are using TTL BL mode, and TTL BL sometimes underexposes a bit.

The concept is to look at your results (on camera rear LCD), and decide what exposure it needs, and then use Flash Compensation to bring it in. This is NOT a one time compensation, it is NOT "calibrating" the gear. It is compensation for the scene in front of the camera, which of course varies. But you just look at what you are getting, and tweak it in to give you what you want. With slight experience, this becomes quite easy. We simply just know that scenes containing a lot of white (light colored areas) are going to underexpose (that's how light meters work). Normally, we learn to recognize this before we push the shutter button. So just add a bit of + Flash Compensation to get exactly what you want, maybe as much as +1 EV sometimes..

Last edited:

stmv

I have the older SB600, good enough for my needs, but I have thought of picking up one of these SB400, 120 dollars! vs well close to 400 dollars when I bought the 600, the 800 is well 800 dollars now.

I like the idea of a smaller flash, for when you don't want to carry the bulky unit. I like using a coiled cable connect to the hot shoe, so I can direct my flash, and well, that would work with the 400 too.

DaveW

Both the SB-400 and SB-700 are using TTL BL mode, and TTL BL sometimes underexposes a bit.

The concept is to look at your results (on camera rear LCD), and decide what exposure it needs, and then use Flash Compensation to bring it in. This is NOT a one time compensation, it is NOT "calibrating" the gear. It is compensation for the scene in front of the camera, which of course varies. But you just look at what you are getting, and tweak it in to give you what you want. With slight experience, this becomes quite easy. We simply just know that scenes containing a lot of white (light colored areas) are going to underexpose (that's how light meters work). Normally, we learn to recognize this before we push the shutter button. So just add a bit of + Flash Compensation to get exactly what you want, maybe as much as +1 EV sometimes..

Agreed but my point was that a flash (SB 700) costing 3 times as much, under exposed sometimes whereby the little SB 400 didn't.

Horoscope Fish

In my experience the SB-400 is a perfectly capable little unit. I find it far (far!) more useful than the rather anemic pop-up unit that comes stock. I have bigger, badder, more powerful strobes but my 400 never leaves my bag. I also think a diffuser is essential but that's beside the point, really. Personally, I love my SB-400, it's low key, light (ha!) and "puts ordinance on target" without a lot of fuss -- assuming I don't need to light up an entire stadium (which I typically don't) -- and that's all I really ask for.

DaveW

In my experience the SB-400 is a perfectly capable little unit. I find it far (far!) more useful than the rather anemic pop-up unit that comes stock. I have bigger, badder, more powerful strobes but my 400 never leaves my bag. I also think a diffuser is essential but that's beside the point, really. Personally, I love my SB-400, it's low key, light (ha!) and "puts ordinance on target" without a lot of fuss -- assuming I don't need to light up an entire stadium (which I typically don't) -- and that's all I really ask for.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I love low key stuff and as most of us tweak our shots on lightroom or other software, its pretty good to use if you convert the image to black and white. Been using Topaz lately and this little unit has given me all I need.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I was just wondering if you folks could give me some examples of when to use the SB-400 flash that came in my camera bundle. I am told it is useful to have a flash you can point at the ceiling, but then I was told by a local photographer that my flash is a waste of money (not really in my case, because with the bundle, it didn't cost me anything at all). I really don't like the flash on my camera, because I find it makes all indoor photos look like they were taken with a point and shoot (probably due to my inexperience). TIA!

Take a look at this example.

SB 400 best flash gun in the world ..why do you want some great thing sticking up to get knocked off ....close enought to the camera to minimise shadow and if you use a flash flipper always on top to minimize shadows...I use every week at weddings and never changed a battery or wanted more power...

Epoc

You need to be able to direct the flash where you want. The 400 Achilles is that it can't. Yeah, great little fill flash, but you may as well use the inboard for that. I sold mine a month after I bought. The 600 's my minimum now.