Sony's new 20mp Dx sensor!

Rick M

I think the point of deminishing returns for Dx was met with the D7000/D5100 sensor. Pixel density becomes more of an issue and fps could be increased more on a less dense sensor coupled with the newer processors as opposed to the new 24mp. Strictly an opinion. That being said, 20 would be better than 24.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Very interesting Rick. Nikon already stepped into 24mp but a 20mp will bring in another alternate to achieve a faster fps unless Nikon improve its buffer for bird shooters and sports photographers. Nikon has other options in acquiring sensor technology.

AC016

Well, that is all well and good. Though, i don't see how Nikon is going to sell this to people who are so obsessed with MPs. Ever since my D3000, every camera after that has had more MPs. I suppose if they target the people who know that MPs are not everything, they may pull it off.

Rick M

Maybe that's why the D300 replacement has never come out. They realize the masses don't know what elements make a great camera.

Eye-level

Banned
Sony sensor technology is probably a safe bet for a pro level DX camera...probably less of a hit on the bottom line and for the shareholders than making your own sensor too.

BackdoorArts

Rick makes excellent points. While we may want everything we can't always have it and choices have to be made. You want MP's then 24 seems to be the limit, but you're going to give up fps and maybe some other things. You want more fps then you're going to have to suck it up and take a few less MP's to get it, not that 20MP's isn't more than sufficient on a DX image - I was happy with the 16MP's on my D7000. The D5200 and whatever will replace the D7000 already sport 24MP sensors, and you already know that the feature set on the 7000 replacement will be "missing" something for at least some photographers. I think it's smart that Nikon might just offer something that ratchets back a few MP's in favor of those "missing" components. Let there be a Nikon for every taste, no?

Rick M

Also interesting to note from the article is the D3200 24mp sensor is made by Nikon and the 24mp in the D5200 is Toshiba. Could be some performance differences?

Eye-level

Banned
At the risk of sounding completely stupid I'm going to say your onto something in post #9 Rick. Surely there are performance differences.

Something I have been thinking about lately is how different sensors seem to have different "looks" to them. To me the D5000/D90 sensor is a good example I think. That sensor has deep rich colors and I may get pilloried for this but I think color wise the old sensor outperforms the newer sensors. Maybe not in sharpness and definition but to me the colors are just better. The D800 sensor is another that seems to have a signature "look". A Leica S2 sensor has a totally different look than a FX or DX sensor.

Seems sensors are sort of becoming like types of film in the old days. With this film you could get that that effect etc. ~ this sensor will give you this sort of look.

I don't know I'm probably just crazy. lol

Pierro

Personally I prefer a sensor that captures DR and sharpness. I can deal with somewhat less than ideal color range in PP, but sharpness and DR loss is much harder to bring back

Alex66

I am sure many many people go for too many mega pixels. Its all down to what the final out put will be, if you only print a 6x4 there is little need for a 10mp let alone a 24mp. When I worked in a retail place during the first year of my BA I came across this all the time along with people telling me I need more got to have more. Now I would go for a higher resolution camera, but I have got superb and excellent results from the 10mp sensor D200/80, and 12mp D5000/90 and even more so off the odd ball 6+6mp Fuji S3 sensor. Off these small sensors I have printed up to A1 with success, heck I even printed A1's off a Ricoh GX100 (10mp) compact. So I look now and think what would I buy when I next get a newer body and I am drawn to the D700 or D3, I want a better roll off in the highs maybe a nice gentle curve instead of a brick wall, colour if its good, however a wide DR is ok if I can print said range. I would say better to spend on lenses but I have all the ones I want and more than I require, oh I am happy with my bag superb.