Motion Pictures, Film, Digital and Format

Eye-level

Banned
Why do we still use the same old 24 X 36 film format to this day? Wouldn't it be more interesting and perhaps more profitable for these camera companies to use a different format. Think about the 24 X 36 format for a minute. It came to be in cameras through Barnack who was making a small camera that would do two things. One reason was he just needed a camera that was small and easy to carry around and the other reason was to be able to test exposure for motion picture film because it is 35mm film. By the 60's 135 film had won. Now they make DX sensors they make little sensors, tiny sensors, etc. Hasselblad and Leica and other companies put sensors in some of their cameras that are even larger than 24 X 36 format. I find it to be strange that we haven't seen "bigger" sensors in Nikons and Canons. What do you all think about that?

Eye-level

Banned
Think about it..we still have "F mount" (that is antiquated film speak) lenses...I think Nikon ought to come out with a "bigger" format new sensor (I don't know call it triple X lol) and an entire range of new "D mount" (modern day digital speak) lenses...I'm just saying... :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well Jeff, the way I see it, lenses built for the 24x36 could probably safely cover a maximum of 36x36. This is what they were designed for. Going for a bigger sensor would mean another set of lenses all together and that means a lot of money for R&D plus production for a market that is presently quite submerged with very good quality DX sensors. I think the main buyers (general public) is quite well served with the present DX lineup.

Don't forget that camera companies have only one goal in mind: Making money. We tend to forget that. And I think that they pretty well have studied their market and know what they are doing. But, technology does advance quite fast and we never know for sure what the future of photography will bring us. Let's just hope for the best and hope we all can afford it one day.

Brusader

The cost of manufacturing increases significantly as you create larger sensors as the silicon wafers use more power have a higher failure rate at the factory and you would need to develop another range of large lenses to utilise it.

Also, a large sensor has a smaller depth of field for the same f-stop. This is why general point-n-click cameras have a infinite (everything in focus greater than ~1 metre). It's very hard to get a small depth of field with a small sensor.