Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

sam49

Hi guys I am looking to buy this lens from Amazon.co.uk

Its the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens for around £195

1 is this lens ok
2 will it fit my D5100

Regards :confused:

RockyNH_RIP

I have the same lens and camera. It fits fine on my D5100 and I have gotten some very good shots with.. I use it primarily for wildlife.. The AF is a tad slow in lower light but I am pleased with it and what I can do with it..

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

The 70 - 300 is also good, maybe a tad faster (focus) than the 55 but there is a price differential.. I got a deal on a refurb so grabbed it and have no regrets

Pat in NH

§am

Are you getting it from a Amazon Marketplace partner?
For that price I assume so, in which case you need to be careful about grey imports, white box stock, or even graded stock.

Cheapest new is £~235 in most reputable suppliers, so you need to ask the questions if it's claimed as new stock :)

sam49

Hi SS381 yes I have just had a look and it is from a Amazon partner and it does not state it is new I just expected it would be.

I'm glad I did not place the order now, so how can i make sure its not a grey import and then I need to find a reputable suppler in the uk

I have found one at Park Cameras for £265 but can I be sure that is not a grey import as well.

Last edited:

§am

Just send them a message and ask if it's UK stock, European stock, or from somewhere else in the world.
I think in terms of warranty, Nikon will accept EU stock as valid for UK too.

Park Cameras are legit as far as I know, but that's still £265.
Current best price seems to be Bristol Cameras at £249 delivered.

I use the following site to keep an eye on current (daily) prices on Nikon kit (and a whole host of other manufacturers too):
Nikon Camera Price Comparison From CameraPriceBuster.co.uk

sam49

Hi guys thanks for the info about Grey imports as I said I was interested in buying a lens from Amazon partner, I thought it would be a genuine UK item but SS381 said I should check with the Amazon partner.

Well I sent an email to the seller and they confirmed It is the grey version but with a Nikon worldwide warranty.

But now I see Amazon are now selling the same lens themself and it is about £30.00 more,

Also thanks for the price comparison link thank SS381

§am

Happy to help - the comparison site has a app for Android and iOS too if you want to keep an eye on the prices of any particular piece of kit.
It's how I got my SB-700 recently, and now have my eye on a 28mm f/1.8G :)

You may also, time permitting of course, want to check out the Focus on Imaging show at the NEC in March - well worth a visit even if its just to have a look around and play with some toys that you might not otherwise get to. Nikon tend to have a full range of their kit available for hands on demos :)

sam49

Happy to help - the comparison site has a app for Android and iOS too if you want to keep an eye on the prices of any particular piece of kit.
It's how I got my SB-700 recently, and now have my eye on a 28mm f/1.8G :)

Thanks SS381 the comparison site is very good I have a couple of item in my watch list, but I cant find the IOS app

§am

Hahaha, I tell lies!!!
There was a iOS app on there but it's gone now (just had a friend check and he can't use it on his iPhone anymore).