Nikon COOLPIX AW100 16 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera

stmv

Friday! nice...

Well,,, I yesterday I ordered the water proof Nikon, going on a Jamaica trip, and am tired of trying to get shots with my old underwater film camera. It was not the old Nikon, but a dedicated underewater camera in one of those Yellow cases. It worked, but you never knew until you developed the pictures, and well, I never got any for the wall, just Kodak Moments.

I still don't expect to get underwater wall shots, but at least I can see right away if I am getting any shots, plus, can use the camera for those surf pictures, without worrying about ruining a 5K setup.

The sensor has 16 meg,, which in bright daylight should produce some decent images. It was kinda funny, the orange, or blue models were not discounted much,, but the Camo model was discounted big time, like down to 180 dollars from 300 dollars.

Yeah,, I know, hard to see in the water if you drop... so... just add some waterproof orange duct tape strips! and problem solved.

It is also shock proof, etc, so should be a really good kayaking, boating, etc,, camera.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/blogs/stmv/150-why-not-blog-10.html#ixzz2KK0QrcrT

PapaST

I have one that I use on hiking trips. The GPS maps are pretty decent too but puts a strain on the battery. I was just playing around with it recently to refamiliarize myself with it. It has a 240 frames per second option that is pretty neat but at low resolution for 10 seconds it's not very useful.

silvercreek

I have been really enjoying my White Coolpix AW100. I had bought a D5100 a few months back and found that it was way more camera than what I needed. The Nikon Coolpix AW100 is a great little camera for general picture taking and very easy to carry and operate.

Last edited:

georgez

I am considering buying this camera. One thing I would like to know is this: GPS data is stored in the image file (this is called geotagging). So the user can view later that information in the pc and see where was the picture taken. Is the same done with the digital compass information? I mean is it stored in the image file, so that one will be able to know not only where was the picture taken (using GPS), but also at which direction was the camera aiming (using the compass)? Or is the compass there just to help you with navigation, without having to do anything with the pictures? Also can the user store any short user generated comment in the image file? (I mean text such as "Photo taken by John").