Carol: Commercial Head Shot

Robert Mitchell

I'm working with a lot more actors that realize the importance and necessity of a great head shot and that understand the concept of investing in their careers.

This is Carol. She's getting cast in a lot of stage shows and TV roles. Great client.

Camera & Lens:
Nikon D700 & Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII

Settings:
145mm, ISO 200, f/14, 1/160s

Lighting:
Another modification of the Peter Hurley lighting setup.

p1421577024-5.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

Very Nice! On your lighting academy web, there is an article from sept using a mod of the Peter Hurley setup. (Lauren) Was that similar to what you used here?? Keep in mind Robert, I know so little but the catchlights for Lauren were more triangular and she also appeared (to novice eyes) to be lit more frontal lower...

Just asking to learn/understand...

Pat in NH

Browncoat

I'm curious...are you happy with your lighting setups? Are you looking for suggestions on improvements?

I haven't seen any of these headshots posted in the critique section, so I assume these are more "look at what I did" shots versus being open for input and discussion.

Robert Mitchell

I'm very happy with my lighting setups, my clients love the shots, they're getting a lot of work and I've gotten praise from the very person that I'm mimicking in terms of setup.

I shoot about 20 head shots a week and have a thriving business based on that work.

Not trying to be stuck up or anything but I'm not really looking for critiques since this works very well and is very much loved by industry professionals, casting directors and agents.

Robert Mitchell

Very Nice! On your lighting academy web, there is an article from sept using a mod of the Peter Hurley setup. (Lauren) Was that similar to what you used here?? Keep in mind Robert, I know so little but the catchlights for Lauren were more triangular and she also appeared (to novice eyes) to be lit more frontal lower...

Just asking to learn/understand...

Pat in NH

Hi Pat,

I only use the triangular setup for young girls and teens, as I find it a bit more playful. In all cases with this type of setup, the light is usually metered to be very even with the exception being the bottom light which is sometimes dropped down about 1/2 stop from the rest of the surrounding lights.

I make that adjustment based on the client and what I feel looks best when they're actually standing in the light.

RockyNH_RIP

Hi Pat,

I only use the triangular setup for young girls and teens, as I find it a bit more playful. In all cases with this type of setup, the light is usually metered to be very even with the exception being the bottom light which is sometimes dropped down about 1/2 stop from the rest of the surrounding lights.

I make that adjustment based on the client and what I feel looks best when they're actually standing in the light.

Thanks for the explanation and that all makes sense now... I did not in your article about dropping the lower light a 1/2 stop (sometimes) and that you maintained the equal metering on the others... I appreciate the explanations Robert.

Have a great day...

Pat in NH

Robert Mitchell

Thanks for the explanation and that all makes sense now... I did not in your article about dropping the lower light a 1/2 stop (sometimes) and that you maintained the equal metering on the others... I appreciate the explanations Robert.

Have a great day...

Pat in NH

My pleasure, Pat.

Even though there are some formulas and standard setups, I feel it's important to evaluate the light as it falls on each subject, and make changes accordingly.

The same is true with makeup. My makeup artist always makes sure that myself and the client are happy with the makeup and we always look at the makeup in the light we'll be shooting as well as taking a test shot. With digital captures, certain makeup and application does not photograph well and often will lose the luster and saturation that the eye sees.

§am

Robert, do you do much/any work with kids?

I'd be interested to see what kind of lighting setups you might use.

Robert Mitchell

Hi Sam,

I shoot kids when I have to.. LOL
What I mean is that I really don't do children's portraiture and don't really enjoy it, but if I'm asked by a client that's already shooting with me then I'll do it.

I do enjoy shooting kids at events where I can just be a fly on the wall and capture them just being themselves without any posing or need for direction of waiting for the perfect smile or the right temperament.

Don't get me wrong. I love children but it's not my preference for portraiture.

I believe I did post one shot of a cute kid at a house party I was shooting and I'll see if I have some others I can post.

When it comes to lighting kids I tend to stay away from anything dramatic or with great contrast and generally speaking I like a nice large, soft diffused light source and a single bright round or square catch light in the eyes.

EDIT: This was the shot I had posted here. Lighting is simple and straight forward. I used a 53" octa with double diffusion.

p1340269394-5.jpg

Last edited: