Hunting for some oldies, thoughts?

SkvLTD

Been noticing that some fairly decent, for what they are, lenses of couple decades back are going fairly cheap these days and kinda make me want to experiment a bit. They're usually full manual (or will be in my case), but that's hardly a factor for me. They're built very, very well since some of these used to be quite fancy back in the days. And these days, they are inexpensive.

Looking through reviews on some, people say mostly good things too.

My main prey are the 70s-80s Nikkors, Sigmas, and Tamrons. f2 or 2.8, since that still beats the 4 or even 4.5 in the same focal length on my 18-55, and for indoor and lower light stuff that's a pretty substantial gap, right?

All that said, any particular recommendations?

yes have a set of E series 28 -35 -50 vivitar f2 28mm Th E 135 is supposed to be as good as any on the planet ..I have fitted the ECU emulator ($30) so you can use all the modern features even back focus on your D5100..all you have to do is focus ... NOTE you dont need this with a D7000 or above

Attachments

• lenstest 085.jpg
    lenstest 085.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Nikkor 105/2.5 Legendary heritage lens Brand new they were around 1200 dollars I think. Twice as much as the camera bodies that used them. You can get a nice for 125 nowadays. Get this one you will not be disappointed.

Low light or indoor you really need a 1.4 or 1.8 like the 50 Series E suggested above. You can get the regular Nikkor 50/1.8 in a pancake version or long barrel version for right around a 100 if you look around.

Other candidates are the 135/2.8 very awesome lens usually under a 100 and the cheapest of them all non Ai 28/3.5 which will run you around 40 also a fine lens a little prone to flare in the direct sun but not really a game breaker.

stmv

one of my favorite subjects,, I use both the modern and classics..

My favorites...

105 macro 2.8 very nice

55 macro (and make sure you get the extension tube if you get the older one, or find a newer one

I really like the 200 F4 (so small, sharp,, and can be found for under 80 dollars)

every kit needs a 100 mm 2.8 series E... so compact, and sharp sharp

love the 20 mm 3.5,, so compact and a 20 mm wow.

lots of other great lens,,

enjoy.

SkvLTD

Awesome input, definitely helps with what to try to aim for. Also read, here, that by some magic spell the d5100 doesn't need ANY mods to work with any of the older lenses whatsoever?

Eye-level

Banned
Everything except for invasive fish eyes and you may be able to use them to if you remember to lock up the mirror...I doubt you are going to want to buy any invasive fish eyes though.

SkvLTD

Hmm, probably not lol. Standard/"filters" would probably more than do it for me in that dept.

Shooting indoors in lower light, I really feel like a 24-28 of sorts. 35 on DX projects too far, but 24 feels just right from playing with length on my kit VR.

STM

All of my Nikon lenses are AI or AIS Nikkors and use them both on my film cameras and D700. I have no use for autofocus personally so I am fortunate in that I can find older Nikkors at excellent prices. The same goes for my Hasselblad. The quality of the AI and AIS Nikkors is legendary, both optically and especially, mechanically.

The older ones were built with a different mentality; to produce the absolute best lens for the money instead of just the most profitable, manufacturing shortcuts be damned. I remember the furor which erupted when Nikon substituted plastic for metal on the aperture ring of their Series E lenses. Now Nikon actually makes the BAYONET on some lenses out of plastic. My jaw dropped so hard it broke my big toe when I found that out. To my mind, that is absolutely unacceptable. 25 years from now, the older Nikkors will still be making images, assuming Nikon does not change the mount. I wonder how many of today's lenses will be able to say the same. Not many I am betting.

Last edited:

STM

My entire collection of lenses are AI/AIS from the 80's. Just because they are older does not mean they are inferior. And the fact that everyone is going with autofocus zooms, makes them even more attractive cost wise. They are also generally much more robust construction wise as well. Many of the newer Nikon lenses are composed of the same optical formula of those AIS Nikkors, just with autofocus added.

DraganDL

"Many of the newer Nikon lenses are composed of the same optical formula of those AIS Nikkors, just with autofocus added..."

Ha, ha, ha! Oh my buddy - many of them are composed of the PLASTIC optical (not only mechanical) elements.... And yes, AF added;)...

STM

I am starting to see more E series glass show up here. Are they AIS lenses?

The E Series (E for Economy I presume) were Nikon's alternative to the expensive Nikkors. Most were very well made and although not perhaps quite as good a performer as their equivalent Nikkor, were still very good lenses. All had the notch in the mount that the AIS lenses did so they will work with Matrix metering with the F4 and later bodies.

Vincent

I bought my Osawa for 35 Eur, it simply makes great pictures. Experimenting really seems worth it, many photographers keep there lenses in mint condition. So there certainly are opportunities out there. My second cheapest lens is a modern plastic one, the 18-105 also great though. Some d lenses are cheap new, they used to be the top in their best years.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

papafrankm

Bought a konika to nikon adapter fotodiox I had a few old konika lenses from my autoreflex filmlike days.
Worked so sweet I have been buying old lenses on ebay, konica 28mm $25, Konika vivitar 200mm3.5 $30 and a Konika 80-200 $30, put those woth my konika 50, sigma 135.I am a happy

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Just-Clayton

I got a 50mm/1.4 pre-ais, a 28mm/3.3 and a vivitar 24mm/2.2. All manual. The 50mm worked on my 3100. But, got rid of 3100. No go on other 2 cameras. The vivitar works great on the 300s. But I get a fish eye effect on the 610. It actually looks neat on certain shots. I might part with the 50mm since I only use it with a reversing ring for macro.

Bill16

I have a couple nice ais lenses in great shape, a Nikkor 200mm 1:4 and a Nikkor 135mm 1:3.5 left, but I haven't used either of them in months.