Native iso

Davidm

My lecturer on my photography course keeps insisting that the best iso for Nikon is 200 and for canon is 100. I want to disagree and set my d7000 to iso 100 (we are doing studio work) but don't want to take on the knowledge of the lecturer given I am there to learn. I think he is going back to previous nikon a where the native iso was 200 and probably doesn't realise the d7000 native iso is 100. What are the thoughts of others on this and will I see much of a difference in picture quality between the two especially around noise in low key portrait shots. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rick M

Not sure I believe in "native ISO". I think this is a carryover from film days when 200 was kind of a general purpose ISO.

fotojack

My "native" ISO on my D200 is 100, and that's what I strive to use at all times if I can help it. Higher ISO numbers are for lower light conditions. I know some cameras will even go to ISO 50, so, yes, like Rick said, I believe he's a throwback to the "good ol' days" of film.

Sambr

The "native ISO" is the starting & sweet spot for the camera's ISO. Every camera model is diffrent for example the D700 is 200 while the D800,D4 & D7000 is 100. It's where the camera will produce it's best results.

stmv

technology has changed, initially, the tranistors heat,, and create noise, but improvements have been made, and the native ISO has broaden.

when I got my D80,, it was like ISO 100,,,,

but now I can shoot from 100-800 with my D800 with essentially no effect, go beyound 800, and effect becomes noticable..

why shoot then at 100, well, when trying to get that silky smooth water fall, and you want your film... I mean sensor to be as slow as possible..

Because the sweet spot has gotten so much wider, the cameras can now push the ISO envelope way way beound what film could ever do, and
servicable pictures come out at ISO 6400,, not not as good as ISO 800 or lower, but good in a pinch.

So,, my defintion of Native ISO is the range where the sensor has negible effect for noise,,, beyound rich impacts will occur.