Upgrade to D7000??

Cowboybillybob1

I am a bit of a newbie to photography albeit a quick learner and currently own a D3200. It's a great camera but there are some features that I would like to have access to. Bracketing and Commander Mode being two of the biggest. There are loads of other features I would like to try out as well.

Since the D7200 will probably come out in a few months the price of the D7000 is very appetizing. The only real concern I have is the pixels and Expeed 2 instead of the D3200 24 and Expeed 3. I don't print more than 8x10 but often close crop.

Any thoughts on this as an upgrade at an excellent price?

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

AC016

You close crop... How much do you crop? If you are cropping so much that you are going to worry about pixelation, you need to get closer to the subject or use the proper lens. Therefore, you may want to think about investing in another lens maybe? If you can get closer to the subject without having to crop so much, all the better for your wallet. Aside from that, if you have your eye on the D7000, go for it!

Cowboybillybob1

Well I pulled the trigger and I just got home with it. I'm charging the battery right now so I'll have to wait about an hour and 1/2 before I can use it but based on looks and feel so far so good. Can't wait to try out new features for me.
Will post a pic when I get it up and running.

Cowboybillybob1

That was a quick decision :)
I have been thinking of an upgrade for a while. The choices were D5200, D7000, or wait for D7200.
The price of the D7000 was a factor. I figured the D7200 would be out of my price range/budget and the D5200 did not have all the important features I wanted.

Going through the manual as the battery charges and I think I made the right choice. The next step would be an FX format but that's many years down the road. I figure the D7000 will last a long time before it becomes obsolete or I outgrow it.
The D3200 is better at taking videos so I will use it for that and as a backup.

When the bug bites there is no stopping it

Last edited:
well I have been testing the 3200 and 7000 ( I have both) and the pictures are virtually identical with the 7000 maybe a little ahead.. I was questioning in my mind if a 24 mp D7200?? will be worth it and it seems not.

However the 7000 has many more practical features of use to me and it would be difficult to use a 3200 for the wedding work I do though not impossible ...U1 U2 2 chips bigger battery better sealed etc

Cowboybillybob1

Finally the battery is charged and all I can say so far is ....WOW!!!

There are so many features and options and setup involved it will take me a good amount of time for me to wrap my head around it.

I am really enjoying it so far but I need some more time with it before I post any pics.

Pretty sure I made the right choice. Learning these features and how they affect my pics can ony make me a better photographer (well I should not really call myself that...yet!)

stmv

Yes,, the 7000 is a sweet camera, and one that i think is the current value/dollar winner in the Nikon lineup. and best of all, learning all that the 7000 can do,, totally bridges to any of the current FX offerings.

Rick M

I think you made a wise choice, the two sensors have different qualities for different applications. You have more flexibility now than if you picked up another 24mp sensor.

piperbarb

You made a very good choice. I have a D3000 and just bought a D7000, which arrived yesterday. I love mine. You will be very happy with your choice.

suvlady

Finally the battery is charged and all I can say so far is ....WOW!!!

There are so many features and options and setup involved it will take me a good amount of time for me to wrap my head around it.

I am really enjoying it so far but I need some more time with it before I post any pics.

Pretty sure I made the right choice. Learning these features and how they affect my pics can ony make me a better photographer (well I should not really call myself that...yet!)

I can't wait to see some pictures that you post. I was able to trade my D3200 up to the D5200 to get the extra features. I looked at the D7000, but was a bit scared to take the leap. So many options to learn. I love the D5200 so far and I still have plenty of options to figure out. Congratulations on your new purchase!!

Cowboybillybob1

I can't wait to see some pictures that you post. I was able to trade my D3200 up to the D5200 to get the extra features. I looked at the D7000, but was a bit scared to take the leap. So many options to learn. I love the D5200 so far and I still have plenty of options to figure out. Congratulations on your new purchase!!
I plan on getting some good shots this week and will post them by the end of the weekend. I have been homebund a bit so I have been testing the D7000 with just stuff lying around my apartment. A bit boring as far as subject matter.

I also picked up today a Tameron 18-270 3.5 lens. This covers the focal lenghth of two other cheap Nikon lenses I own. The Tameron is fantastic so far. Real sharp and very versitile. Makes it easy to travel light.

suvlady

Where did you pick up the Tameron lens from? Did you get it new or used? Did you get a good deal? I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. I'm curious what your thoughts are on the D3200 vs D7000. Being 2 different sensors and such.

Happy shooting!

Cowboybillybob1

Where did you pick up the Tameron lens from? Did you get it new or used? Did you get a good deal? I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. I'm curious what your thoughts are on the D3200 vs D7000. Being 2 different sensors and such.

Happy shooting!

I have been ill the past few days so I do not have anything woethwhile to post. Here are some of my impressions so far.

The D3200 is a great entry level camera. Lots of neat features and way easy to use. I was a bit frustrated with it as far as some things I wanted that the D3200 did not offer. Bracketing, comander mode, among other things.
One of the concerns I had was the smaller amount of pixels and the sensor. But after using it now for about a week I can say that the pixel count is a bit of a hype. I am not making prints larger than 8X10 and the D7000 has way enough to cover that and a lot more. It has become a non issue. I love this D7000. It is just more versitile and gives me more than I can handle now and for the forseeable future.

I bought the body only at a great local camera store, Milford Photo in CT. It was on sale for $899.00 which is pretty much what it is going for everywhere. To my mind it's a great deal on a great camera. I am sure that it is so cheap due to the release of a D7100 or D7200. I also think I heard somewhere that the price of the D7000 will be going up to keep the D7100 at a specific price point. In any case I think it's a great camera at a great price.

The Tameron 18-270 f3.5 had a $100 mail in rebate which made the bottom line price about $550 USD. It was also purchased at Milford Photo. I have only had it a few days but I can see how it will be on my camera 95% of the time. It's small and just perfect for walking around and taking shots. It's sharp and clear and I'll post some pics this weekend. I see that someone in this thread posted some with this lens.

I am happy with this setup so far. Certainly it can do more than I am capable of taking advantage of. I highly recomend it but keep in mind I am a relative newb.

Last edited:

Cowboybillybob1

Here is a quick shot with the D7000, Tameron 18-270, and SB700.
I did not spend a lot of time on it but hopefully I will be able to put some more of an effort getting it right.
harley_001.jpg

suvlady

I have been ill the past few days so I do not have anything woethwhile to post. Here are some of my impressions so far.

The D3200 is a great entry level camera. Lots of neat features and way easy to use. I was a bit frustrated with it as far as some things I wanted that the D3200 did not offer. Bracketing, comander mode, among other things.
One of the concerns I had was the smaller amount of pixels and the sensor. But after using it now for about a week I can say that the pixel count is a bit of a hype. I am not making prints larger than 8X10 and the D7000 has way enough to cover that and a lot more. It has become a non issue. I love this D7000. It is just more versitile and gives me more than I can handle now and for the forseeable future.

I bought the body only at a great local camera store, Milford Photo in CT. It was on sale for $899.00 which is pretty much what it is going for everywhere. To my mind it's a great deal on a great camera. I am sure that it is so cheap due to the release of a D7100 or D7200. I also think I heard somewhere that the price of the D7000 will be going up to keep the D7100 at a specific price point. In any case I think it's a great camera at a great price.

The Tameron 18-270 f3.5 had a $100 mail in rebate which made the bottom line price about $550 USD. It was also purchased at Milford Photo. I have only had it a few days but I can see how it will be on my camera 95% of the time. It's small and just perfect for walking around and taking shots. It's sharp and clear and I'll post some pics this weekend. I see that someone in this thread posted some with this lens.

I am happy with this setup so far. Certainly it can do more than I am capable of taking advantage of. I highly recomend it but keep in mind I am a relative newb.

I hope you are feeling better now. Thanks for you thoughts. I probably should have traded up to the D7000, but the price was about $1200.00 for the kit and the D5200 was $900.00. For now, I have plenty to keep me busy. Maybe later on I can get a good deal on a D7000 body.