D800 Video Peculiarities

Angeldust

Hi Everyone,

I got a huge wealth of knowledge from you all the last time I posted a question like this- and I'm hoping to ask the same again from you with this issue.

So, I loe my D800- it's been with me a month and after some initial misunderstandings between it and me, we're getting towards simpatico now.

Well- until today- I was shooting some video (2 5500K softboxes, D800 set to 5500K WB Auto-ISO (showed 200th sec at f/1.8 ISO 160))- the video clicked initially into shooting at f/8- which was fine, except that I wanted some degree of thin DoF- so I clicked it down to f/1.8, here's where the weird stuff happens- at f/8 everything was in focus (duh) and the video recorded perfectly normally. At f/1.8- playing the video back revealed continuous rolling dark lines going from the bottom of the frame to the top, (I'll add a sample video showing the effect as soon as it's uploaded to youtube).

In the meanwhile, does anyone have an explanation as to what's happening? Or even better- how I can prevent it from happening again?!

Thanks so much in advance!

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXSHSzI9xeM

Video mentioned...

Last edited:

Incubate

Mike,

This has to do with the frequency of the lights and the frequency of the sensor, you were probably filming in a location with florescent lighting. You will note that by changing the shutter speed you can get rid of the scrolling lines and bring them back. The remedy is to get a variable ND filter so you can keep your shutter speed locked in to 60 for NTSC and 50 for PAL. Always try to keep your shutter speed locked to either of those variables.