Nasim Mansurov's 70-200 f/4 vs, f/2.8 head to head comparison - the verdict is in

Dave_W

The Dude
Very interesting new post by Nasim on the 70-200mm f/4.0. You can read the entire post HERE or just skip to the conclusion that I've cut and pasted below.

Hence, unless you really need the fast aperture of f/2.8 for low-light situations and shallower depth of field beyond 13 feet (and maybe slightly better highlight bokeh), there is little reason to buy the heavy and expensive 70-200mm f/2.8G. Overall, there is little to complain about on the Nikon 70-200mm f/4G VR. Similar to the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G and the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G lenses, I will be recommending this lens over the f/2.8 version going forward.

I'm feeling very good about holding off on filling in this lens. As this pattern of newer pro-sumer lenses being better than the full-blown pro lenses, I think it's safe to say Nikkor has made a quantum leap in their lens design. I can't wait until Nikkor releases updated pro lenses using these new designs.

Last edited:

Rick M

This really looks like a great lens. Besides performance and size/weight, I like how it looks, the straight cylinder is nice.

Sambr

Not good for me, never would I pick a F4 lens over a 2.8 Never. I shoot in indoor venues with my 70-200VR 2.8 in some places it stays put wide open at 2.8 & 200mm and F4 lens just wouldn't cut it. Nasim can rave all he wants I'm willing to bet he wouldn't trade either :)

Rick M

Not good for me, never would I pick a F4 lens over a 2.8 Never. I shoot in indoor venues with my 70-200VR 2.8 in some places it stays put wide open at 2.8 & 200mm and F4 lens just wouldn't cut it. Nasim can rave all he wants I'm willing to bet he wouldn't trade either :)

Yea, I think if you need/want 2.8, there is no subsitute. I think for my occasional zoom stuff this would be nice.