Advice needed please - Why is centre of these photos blurred?

stvn

Hi,
I am using a Nikon F2 with a Nikkor 28mm f2.8 lens.
Does anyone know why the centre ONLY is soft focused?
Surely as I am focusing in the centre of the viewfinder it should only be the other way around?

essex1_zps42d3e9aa.jpg
essex2_zps698f6d93.jpg

Attachments

• essex2.jpg
    essex2.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 155
  • essex1.jpg
    essex1.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Do the negatives looked that much blurred when you look at them with a magnifier? My first suspicion would be the scanning process, but since we don't know who and how it was done, the only way to find out is to attentively look at the magnified original negatives/transparencies.

Hope it's in the scanning so you can correct.

Keep us informed.

stvn

Hi Marcel,
Thank you very much, you are spot on with your diagnosis.
I have looked at the negatives through a magnifying glass and they are fine, I can only assume that the developers are at fault. The other shots from the roll seem fine but these two just stood out?
Bizarre :confused:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Marcel,
Thank you very much, you are spot on with your diagnosis.
I have looked at the negatives through a magnifying glass and they are fine, I can only assume that the developers are at fault. The other shots from the roll seem fine but these two just stood out?
Bizarre :confused:

It might have something to do with film flatness when scanned. Maybe this scanning is done very quickly and/or for a few frame the negative wasn't quite flat enough when the scanning happened.

The good news is that if you really want these shots, you can have them scanned again.

STM

If the negatives are fine then the only other thing which could be at fault is in the scanning process. Film will bow just a little when placed in a negative holder unless it is the more expensive (and with their own set of problems) glass carriers. The bow will be the most pronounced in the center of the frame and would probably be more of problem with a cheaper scanner.